• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some of the Collection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie2002

40 Cal
Reaction score
During all the down time I thought it might be fun to share a picture of my cap lock collection with everybody. They are nothing special, a CVA Mountain rifle, a CVA Hawken, a CVA Frontier and a Traditions Kentucky pistol all in .50 caliber with brown barrels. Picked most of them up with small problems and two needed refinishing. Don't think I have much over $350.00 tied up in them total. Need to stay out of pawn shops LOL. A refinish was planned for the Mountain Rifle but it's a survivor with some nicks and dings which gives it more character than a refinish would.

CVA Collection Resized.jpg

Enjoy the collection and stay safe.

Very cool. I appreciate salvaging tools like these from folks who don’t appreciate what they had..
One rifle I let go that’s I really wish I hadn’t, a CVA mountain rifle .58...

uring all the down time I thought it might be fun to share a picture of my cap lock collection with everybody...Don't think I have much over $350.00 tied up in them total. Need to stay out of pawn shops LOL....

View attachment 27703

Enjoy the collection and stay safe.
Wow! I need to find those kind of pawn shops. Great price on nice finds!

UndeadPoet

Alright, here are my two caplocks. Top, is a 1967 Intercontinental Arms “Kentuckian,” .44 cal, made in Italy, which I got from an uncle 20+ years ago. Bottom, is my first muzzle loader, a 1995 CVA St. Louis Hawken in .50 cal. I bought it new.

Attachments

• E81DBB4D-3EE1-4F9C-ABB0-1C982E74D264.jpeg
    E81DBB4D-3EE1-4F9C-ABB0-1C982E74D264.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 105
Undead, the Mountain rifle has a 32 inch barrel, The Hawken has a 28 inch and the Frontier has a 24 inch barrel. I also have a Monarch Hawken caplock with a 18 inch barrel that was so bubba'd I turned it into a trade style rifle with copper tacks. Here's a picture of it right after I finished it. I took the fake hair off the sling since then.
IMG_6709.JPG

Undead, the Mountain rifle has a 32 inch barrel, The Hawken has a 28 inch and the Frontier has a 24 inch barrel. I also have a Monarch Hawken caplock with a 18 inch barrel that was so bubba'd I turned it into a trade style rifle with copper tacks. Here's a picture of it right after I finished it. I took the fake hair off the sling since then.View attachment 27861

That is what’s called a “canoe gun” and we’re used by the fur trappers and pioneers to hide under a blanket or in a canoe as sort of an 18th century “sawn off” as it were.

That's most of them. Been collecting a long time. One is a chunk gun (1870's) with a rifleing machine and cutters from the same maker's shop. Boxes of flasks. Always have a few things available.

Most of my collection. 95% original Ohio rifles. Several posts.

Being relatively new to the Midwest I've wondered about what was going on (conditions on the ground so to speak) that gave rise to Ohio rifles. If you might feel like it please post something to illustrate that time and place. I've haunted some used book stores and found very little.

Latest posts

Back