• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Some new project material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up around 18 raw horns last weekend from the local Stock yards after a sale this last Friday. I have always wanted to attempt to make a couple of horns. There were a few pieces of some Texas longhorns in the mix as well.

I have begun the cleaning process for the raw freshly cut horns by soaking them in soapy water for about 18 hours to help break the loose crud loose. I plan on pulling the cores out this weekend. From there, there are several projects that I want to try to accomplish.

I am hoping to make a couple of smaller powder horns as well as making some priming horns. From the couple of pieces of cut Longhorn pieces, I am going to attempt to make a couple of drinking mugs and cups. I also hope to make some bone buttons as well as straightening and flattening some of the less attractive ones. I hope to make some beads, combs, buttons and other decorative and camp items from what's left.

I am trying to use as much of the horn as possible like my ancestors did with any animal that they had to end the life of. If you have any ideas or tips on what to do with these horns please post them below in this thread.

Stay safe and seek happiness,
Bobo Greybeard

Attachments

• IMG_20221209_000339707.jpg
    IMG_20221209_000339707.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
Nice grab - even the "ugly frog(s)" (horns) can be turned into handsome Prince(s) with some work.

Please take some pics as you work - we can't wait.

Back