• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some mugs I made to pass the time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rules of the forum do not allow for "selling" through the forums. Sent me a private email if you wish to discuss price. At rendezvous it is basicly a trade item. And I do mean trade. It just depends on what the other person has for trade. But at Easterns I do sell a mug full of hard cider for $25 dollars . One year a man across the trail had several pewter mugs he could't sell so I gave him $5 for each of his Schelfield mugs and resold them for $15. He asked me two days later how I could sell them for 15 when he could not get 5. I asked him if he filled them with hard cider?l

About how thick do you leave the sides and do you coat both outside and inside with superglue before applying lacquer? I, too, have trouble with cracking, even after letting the wood dry for a year or more.

I leave the sides about 1/2 inch thick, as you can see the tops are tapered so they are thinner at the top. Yes I coat both the inside and outside with the super glues to seal and strengthen the walls.

I've made maple wine and cordial "glasses" as display items ---
P1000839.JPG
P1000842.JPG

Ramrod , fantastic job . The mistress of the house will be gratefully in your debt. I'll be out in the shop and out from
under foot. hell we both thank you. This will add a little spice to my beer.
gunny

I did not add any weight because they were glued to the wood base. I rarely make them as free standing but as a display of multiples as shown. I use my stock cut-offs for most of the "glasses".

California is just a bowl of granola, Take out the fruits and the flakes and all that is left is the nuts! I think every thing causes cancer in California due to the faults waiting to drop the whole state into the ocean.

I am finding this thread interesting and I hope that I am not over stepping by posting some pictures of a couple of mugs that I turned.

My wife would tell you that I have too many mugs, but I like them. Last year I bought a new to me lathe and wanted to turn some mugs, so far I have only done these two.

As you can see they are fairly thin walled. The Osage Orange one I have had to recoat with food grade epoxy a couple of times since the cracks opened up.

Not having a handle on it is kinda nice and I like it.

For the walnut one I used a handle from Backwoods Tin and Copper (google them if you want his info). I bought two of the copper handles I think for $4 each. I have purchased 4 of his copper mugs and asked if I could just buy a couple of handles that he makes for his mugs. I do like the copper handles as well. Simple and easy.

Fleener

IMG_2175.jpg
IMG_2177.jpg
IMG_2178.jpg

You guys almost have me wanting to dig out the old sears wood lathe I have in the garage and try my hand at a couple with scrap from the firewood pile. Those are nice.

My osage came from some I cut up for fence post on my farm.

I replaced my old Sears lathe with a Jet. The Jet came with the bowl chuck that I was wanting.

I need to fire up the lathe and make some more.

Fleener

I leave the sides about 1/2 inch thick, as you can see the tops are tapered so they are thinner at the top. Yes I coat both the inside and outside with the super glues to seal and strengthen the walls.
Thanks for the info about the thickness and glue application. How often do you have problems with cracking?

Back