• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

some knife assembling I did as a winter project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in town with no possibility to do some blacksmithing. I wanted some knives and decided to start from existing blades. Mora Knives from Sweden sell some really nice blades with three layers that really hold a sharp edge. Ans the New Zealand firm Svord Knives sell a farmers folding knife with a really ugly plastic handle but with an excellent blade suitable for an 18th century folder... With those I started working and added some handles. The folder has one piece bison handle, one of the Mora blades received an antler handle and the other one a deer leg bone with some pewter work ... I made the scabbard also but my wife did the quillwork... IMG_2273.JPG IMG_2274.JPG IMG_2275.JPG

I live in town with no possibility to do some blacksmithing. I wanted some knives and decided to start from existing blades. Mora Knives from Sweden sell some really nice blades with three layers that really hold a sharp edge. Ans the New Zealand firm Svord Knives sell a farmers folding knife with a really ugly plastic handle but with an excellent blade suitable for an 18th century folder... With those I started working and added some handles. The folder has one piece bison handle, one of the Mora blades received an antler handle and the other one a deer leg bone with some pewter work ... I made the scabbard also but my wife did the quillwork... View attachment 4814 View attachment 4815 View attachment 4816
They are great looking knives. I like the folder best. The quill worked sheath is a work of art.

Nice work!
I'd strongly suggest you grind the spine of the blade with the leg-bone handle flush with the pewter/bone.

We place a bulk order of raw quills in the USA then prepare, color, sort them ... Almost all of our raw materials have to come from the USA ...
I bet those orders cause some problems at Customs. I can see it now:

"Quills? What are quills?"
"I don' know. We better open it and see."

"Looks like little sticks!!" What would someone want with little sticks?"

"Maybe something valuable is hidden under them?" "You better dig down to the bottom to find out."

"ARRRRRGGGGG!!! THEY ATTACKED ME AND THEY WON'T PULL OUT, #***#@&#@ !!!!!!!"
SEND THEM TO THE IDIOT THAT WANTED THEM !!! HOPEFULLY THEY WILL ATTACK HIM TOO!" :mad::mad::mad: :D:D

I bet those orders cause some problems at Customs. I can see it now:

"Quills? What are quills?"
"I don' know. We better open it and see."

"Looks like little sticks!!" What would someone want with little sticks?"

"Maybe something valuable is hidden under them?" "You better dig down to the bottom to find out."

"ARRRRRGGGGG!!! THEY ATTACKED ME AND THEY WON'T PULL OUT, #***#@&#@ !!!!!!!"
SEND THEM TO THE IDIOT THAT WANTED THEM !!! HOPEFULLY THEY WILL ATTACK HIM TOO!" :mad::mad::mad: :D:D
Now, if only they saw how quillwork is done, they'd wonder even more. For those who don't, the easiest way to soften quills to be sewn onto leather is to hold them in your mouth. Yes, they are sharp on both ends, but only one end has barbs...

Back