• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some folks do shoot artillery in live fire competition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will have to check, but trying to remember that there is a live fire contest here in Minnesota that is open to all size of cannon and mortars.

Yes I do live fire demos with my miniature cannons and full size mortar. I have even been part of a crew that has lived fired a 1883 3in rifled cannon.

There are several U-tube videos of real ML cannon competition. When you then imagine 100 plus cannon at Gettysburg alone , firing as rapidly as possible (full charges too ) , the sound of shot and ball flying across the field !
They said during Gettysburg's 3rd day artillery bombardment, you could hear it as thunder all the way to Philadelphia.

This is something I'd love to get into someday, would probably have to trade my other expensive hobby (flying) to get into cannons. Or maybe play the lotto a few times. Great stuff, there is a cannon shoot yearly near me in Reading, Ma that I have yet to attend, no idea what kind of stuff shows up to it.

Also here is a really cool video from youtube, the channel "smarter every day" does some great stuff on many topics but this one is particularly interesting with super high speed HD cameras capturing canons shooting live, figure it may be of interest here.

i want a sailboat, then i want to mount the cannon on the bow so I can go shooting and floating targets. be cool to see if you can skip the balls across the ocean

30 years ago, I went to the High Plains Rendezvous at Ft Mandan, ND. They were right on the banks of the Missouri river, which there was about a mile wide. They had cannon matches with live fire. They put a target out on a sandbar and shot at the 4x8 sheet of plywood.. And yes there were several BANG......splash.........splash.........splashes as the balls skipped across the river. Yes having a cannon on a sail boat would be cool. But having a dummy boat 200 yds or 300 yds off shore as a target to sink would be so much better. You could even dress up like Erol Flynn in those old Pirate movies.

Back