Some Flintlock recommendations for F&I War/Rev War doin's?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

FlinterNick

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I though hand rifled barrels had an odd number of grooves as the shaft of the cutting tool needed support, and so if you had even numbers the shaft would ride inside with a groove beneath and and would not cut true. ???

LD
I’m familiar with the military rifles. The 1776 rifle had 8 lands and grooves. The Poser Jaeger had 7, Ferguson Rifle had 8, A few of the American Rifles in Neumans’s book have 7 and 8. The Rappaforge rifled wall gun had 12 ! Holy Cow. French Infantry Rifles had 7. The model 1740 French Calvary Carbine was rifled at the breech and smooth at the top for about 4 inches, those had 7. I see your point though with the earlier single point rifling, broached rifling would be seen for a little while longer. I’ve seen some 6 groove American Long Rifles at the Valley Forge Exhibit and Rev War Museum in Phillie, but it’s possible that it was worn down or not in its original state.

Stophel

75 Cal.
Reaction score
All this talk, and I don't think that Armando, who originally asked the question, has ever said who, when, and where. A certain gun might be fine for one person in one place and time, but not something that someone else may have had in some other place, even at the same time.

FlinterNick

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I though hand rifled barrels had an odd number of grooves as the shaft of the cutting tool needed support, and so if you had even numbers the shaft would ride inside with a groove beneath and and would not cut true. ???

LD
All this talk, and I don't think that Armando, who originally asked the question, has ever said who, when, and where. A certain gun might be fine for one person in one place and time, but not something that someone else may have had in some other place, even at the same time.
Honestly ive seen militia rein actors with all kinds rifles and fowlers. Nobody really knows enough to say .... you cant use that; as long its not an 1803 or Mississippi rifle

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
And wouldn't that also include rifles with thick barrels that were "freshed" or bored and re-rifled? ;)

LD
When they freshen a barrel did they have to rebore?
Could you not just lap the bore and pull a new tooth through a rifeling tooth through the old groves? Unless badly damaged I would think you could have a fresh bore only being .01-.02 bigger?

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
When they freshen a barrel did they have to rebore?
Could you not just lap the bore and pull a new tooth through a rifeling tooth through the old groves? Unless badly damaged I would think you could have a fresh bore only being .01-.02 bigger?
You can do it both ways.
If the rifling has simply shallowed, and the smith has cutters of the right width and a cutting tool of the right pitch, you're fine.
If the smith that's available does not have a rifling machine of the right pitch, or if the barrel is badly pitted, you then have to ream first, then recut the rifling.

LD

FlinterNick

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What did the tooth / edge look like that was used to cut the rifling ? And how did they increase depth? I’m assuming with some type of shim.

rich pierce

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is how I do it. I pour a lead lap on a hickory rod. On one side I inlet a cutter for the grooves. That is pretty square shouldered and has to precisely align with the groove and be precisely the right width. On the opposite side I inlet a rounded cutter for the lands. That is wider than the lands. That’s not a problem. The lap was pretty worn on this one by the time I was done. It was a .50 Colerain that was deeply rusted end to end 6 hours of work later it was .504 and super clean end to end with a little choke. Sorry, I have a devil of a time attaching photos in order and not getting dupes.AE3878D9-3930-42A1-B42F-C47B0A3DF1BB.jpegAE3878D9-3930-42A1-B42F-C47B0A3DF1BB.jpegBE35FD1A-6F8B-4562-867A-BF81724F9673.jpeg

Attachments

Latest posts