• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some days......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To quote a favorite movie of mine "Let it ride", some days you might be walking around lucky and not even know it.

I was picking up a buddy who had his truck being worked on and was early. Next door was a used tire and wheel coupled with a pawn shop that I had never seen before, so I strolled in. Nothing of real interest, but I was burning time. In walks this young man with a Traditions (CVA) Deerstalker Deerhunter 24" barrel in 50 cal 1:48 twist, plastic stock.. It appeared to be in great condition except for some set screws missing, safe marks...little stuff.

He was trying to sell it to the pawn guys for $100...they were not interested.

He left and I followed him out and grabbed him and ask to look at it. He said it was unfired and the bore and lock area looked like it. Did my due diligence and asked to see a DL and asked why he was selling it....car payment and needed the money.

So I peeled off a C-note, took the gun and shook hands and left.

When I got home it appeared that there was a load in it, so I took the compressed air to it and out popped a ball. Scraped the powder out, gave it a good cleaning, converted it to musket cap, tested the nipple and all is good! Only down side is that the cleanout screw is buggered and stuck, But I will get that out eventually.

This will make a nice little handy deer only gun with some Hornady GP conicals. 50cal1.jpg50cal.jpg

Last edited:
That gun looks like a Traditions Deerhunter, judging by the sights.
Ain't a bad deal for 100 bucks.
She'll be a shoulder thumper with those Great Plains bullets.
Good luck.

That gun looks like a Traditions Deerhunter, judging by the sights.
Ain't a bad deal for 100 bucks.
She'll be a shoulder thumper with those Great Plains bullets.
Good luck.
Could be....the sight covers the name. They are Williams sights and I happen to have the ghost ring insert that I use. Thanks for the correction. Fixed it in the original post.

I am not recoil sensitive , but I also added about 3/4 of a lb of silicone mold making material into the stock. Mix, pour into the hollow stock, reinstall the buttplate, set in on its butt and when the silicone sets, it gives you good balance and takes out some bite too.

I already shoot a CVA Mountain stalker in 54...no problem with it's recoil.

I could not pass this deal up.

Last edited:
Could be....the sight covers the name. They are Williams sights and I happen to have the ghost ring insert that I use.

I am not recoil sensitive , but I also added about 3/4 of a lb of silicone mold making material into the stock. Mix, pour into the hollow stock, reinstall the buttplate, set in on its butt and when the silicone sets, it gives you good balance and takes out some bite too.

I already shoot a CVA Mountain stalker in 54...no problem with it's recoil.

I could not pass this deal up.
That sounds like a good idea with the silicone. I have a CVA rifle with a plastic stock.
I also have the Williams Ghost ring on my Traditions Deerhunter. It's a good sight. The 54 is a good caliber. I've got CVA Missouri in 54. It shoots round balls really well.

I fill it part way with paper towels, then the rest with the silicone. It also takes the hollow plastic sound away.

When you set it on it's butt, be sure to put something under it...it always leaks. When it cures, just cut away the excess.

Very good deal on that DeerHunter. I bought one with a wood stock some 30+ years ago and hunted with it for over twenty years. They've long ago earned my respect.

Back