• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

some bone items

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, Mrs asked me to trim a chuck roast. There was a fairly large flat bone in the roast which I cut out. I saw that it was flat and about half of it was solid, having no marrow whatever. So I cleaned the membrane off the bone, used a hack saw to cut the part with the marrow away (for which the dog was happy) and then soaked the rest in hydrogen peroxide for a few days. The color substantially brightened with the peroxide treatment. I let the bone dry and then used the hack swa again to slice off a sliver to make a crude bodkin, a lacing needle. I used a sharp knife to scrape the general shape and a drill pin vise to drill a hole for the lace. I used a needle file to enlarge the lace hole. When I got the final shape to be about what I wanted, I sanded it with 280 grit sand paper, then 4-0000 steel wool and finally buffed it on the buffing wheel.

raw material
1658492281074.png

final needle
1658492346634.png

there is a few square inches left for making buttons and even a scrimshaw pendant.

Back