• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Soling a Frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEP

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the thread on frizzen hardening, hence this one. Here's my question - Is there an on-line tutorial about how to sole a frizzen? YouTube video or whatever? I've hardened quite a few using Kasenit; not really following directions that closely. I bring them up to heat and hold them there for about 25 minutes or so, re applying more Kasenit from time to time. Then into an oil quench and I get a fairly deep penetration. I'm sure pack hardening is better, however. But it seems to me that soling a frizzen could be almost a forever solution. I'd like to learn how. Anything out there? Thanks.

The Bevel Brothers just had an article in Muzzle Blasts about how not to sole a frizzen recently. Great sparks but not great for you!

Back