• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Soldering the front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While we are on the subject.... Not really, I mentioned it in another thread is all.

Does any one have a fool proof (read, so even I can understand) method of getting the front sight on an octagon to round barrel soldered on in the exact center of the barrel?
I think I have finally, maybe, possibly, got the front sight on my rifle in the middle but it has been the subject of cussing and discussing and after much trial and error maybe success but it would sure be nice to know for the next one.

Thanks!

Can you clamp it with a squeeze clamp, I used one off a heat shroud lamp, you know the kind that look like metal salad toungs...puts pressure down but not tons like a squeeze clamp.
Then shoulder the gun look down the barrel, see that its centered then put the heat to the solder?
Maybe your afraid once you heat it, it walks off to one side or the other? Not sure.
That's why I paid Doug from Pecatonica to solder mine on!

It's a PITA to get it right. There's a tool for holding that site in place on the barrel end but I have no idea who makes it. It may be a home made thing. I "tinned" both the area on the barrel where the site was to be mounted and the flat bottom of the site. Tinning is basically getting the metal to accept a fine coat of solder without getting it so hot the solder just runs off. After that you can position the site onto the barrel and hold it in place with a piece of wire. Heat it all up and the outcome should be neat and strong. Mine looks awesome, but it shoots high and left at 50 yards. I know I could cut the v notch on the back site and lean it to the right a touch, I just haven't gotten to it yet. It's an original 1861 Bridesberg that had been butchered up over the years and I put it back together.
KIMG0118.JPG

To locate the front sight on an oct. to round barrel is easy. Put barrel in a vise held gently in place. Make sure barrel is not canted and is level. 1.......Lay a light cord/string or fishing line , on top of the center of the breech plug , and fasten the line w/ tape 2..........Gently pull the string taught and by eye, mark the area where the sight will be soldered to the top dead center of the barrel. Gently ...put two tiny center punch marks where the sight will be soldered in place. Clean the spot w/ a wire brush or fine emory while not removing the two center marks. Tin the underside of the sight , and place it between the marks on top of the barrel. I use liquid flux. Using a plumbing torch , sweat the sight in place. Clean up w/ a wire wheel on a dremel tool , and done, Have done many this way w/success. Here's hoping you can figure this B/S out,,,,,,,,,,,,oldwood

I used to get frustrated trying to hold the front sight in place while soldering. I took a C clamp and welded a small piece of 1/4 inch angle iron to the flat part of the C.Then Ideepened the V on the round part attached to the screw. The V shape will grab onto a round shape and if the sides of the angle iron are small enough it will hold the sight while soldering.

To find the middle of the barrel for the front sight, I was taught to lay the barrel on a flat surface resting on the rear sight. With a flat file under the front, just move the file foreward and back, and it will mark the front to match the rear sight on the barrel.

To find the middle of the barrel for the front sight, I was taught to lay the barrel on a flat surface resting on the rear sight. With a flat file under the front, just move the file foreward and back, and it will mark the front to match the rear sight on the barrel.

Now that is a cool idea!

I have no problem holding the sight in place, my problem is getting it perfectly centered.

It really bugs me if I have to adjust the rear sight to where it is not centered so I try and get the front sight centered. I am going to try Stony Broke's idea...next time.

I took a barrel to a friend that is a great builder once to have him put the front sight back on it, and watched him use that manner. It really surprised me how it was so easy and actually worked !

I guess that the secret of it is not to loose / have it come dethatched!?

I did not LOSE the sight nor did it come LOOSE nor did I suffer its LOSS and it did not come DETACHED.

It was not centered correctly and I kept resoldering it trying to get it exactly in the center.

Finding the top dead center was the issue.

What if you have no rear sight? What if the rear sight is slightly canted? I don't even trust that the barrel flat is perfectly flat and square. I'm not saying it won't work because I have used that method successfully, just try before you solder. The last one I made and the one I am working on right now have a groove filed in the standing breech, so I set up the gun complete and shoulder it just as it will be shot, put a small piece of double backed tape on the sight and stick it on, and scribe around it with an awl. It won't take more than a couple tries and you'll have it.
IMG_0504.jpeg

Being inlayed, you don't really get a second chance.
Robby

Robby - that sight looks great inlayed like that - I bet that was a bugger of a job to do :eek: - nice work:thumb:.

Latest posts

Back