• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Soldering ramrod pipes to barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Almost all half stock rifles are built with an under rib. Why?

I've seen underhammer target rifles that have ramrod pipes soldered directly to the barrel. I'm thinking of building a halfstock rifle this way with no rib.

The only practical reason for the rib I can think of is to help guide the ramrod through the pipes? Possibly making it faster to return the ramrod and get back in shooting position?

Am I missing something?

In my opinion the barrel under rib is an extension of the stock web that runs between the bottom of the barrel channel and the top of the ramrod channel.

The rib allows for an offset, so the ramrod remains straighter and slides in more easily.

Properly sized rib with the r/r pipes , allows the r/r to clear any barrel pinning loops , and if a flint lock gun , clearance for the front lock bolt, There are ways to install a rib , and r/r thimbles w/o soldering . My favorite , is 3 ,or 4 , # 4 machine screws tapped into the barrel , and r/r thimbles either slotted and pinned into the under rib , or solder the r/r thimbles onto the rib. ..........oldwood

Last edited:
The rib also spaces the ramrod so that it clears the barrel lugs. How would you attach the barrel to the stock without this clearance? A barrel band would work I suppose. As Wyoming mentions you can build the offset into the pipes but I think a rib solves all the problems and maybe that's why they used them in the first place. Silver solder the pipes to the rib before the rib is on the barrel. The rib is then attached to the barrel with fillister head screws which are filed off with a round file to match the rib contour.

With the idea in my head the ramrod would still be spaced off the barrel to line up with the entry hole in the stock just like with a rib, there just wouldn't be a rib.

Yes, you can, but most of the ram rod will be unsupported.

So? Why does the ramrod need support? It's just along for the ride. Not trying to argue just seeing if I'm missing something.

You could do that but it would make returning the ramrod difficult as you would have to guide it through each pipe with no rib to help and it would look weird.
This is about the only valid argument I can think of. However with pipes that fit fairly close to the ramrod (not to close to cause binding) and are maybe a little longer it seems it would guide in just fine. Could be critical if your under attack in the great western unkown, less so otherwise.

Almost all half stock rifles are built with an under rib. Why?

I've seen underhammer target rifles that have ramrod pipes soldered directly to the barrel. I'm thinking of building a halfstock rifle this way with no rib.

The only practical reason for the rib I can think of is to help guide the ramrod through the pipes? Possibly making it faster to return the ramrod and get back in shooting position?

Am I missing something?
Ribs were not there for just the rod, but to stiffen the barrel, which was a softer metal than today's barrel steel. Target rifles often had ridiculously heavy barrels and didn't bend as easily.

I have seen guns with an attachment lug with a pipe above (close to the barrel) and a slot below for a key to hold the barrel to the stock. This would take care of the problem of the attachment lugs being in the way. The lock screw on the gun I remember had only a single screw that was threw the breech plug lug behind the barrel, so no interference there.

Hi,
Many European half stocked fowlers were made with no ribs and the pipes soldered to the barrel. It works fine but the daylight showing between the ramrod and the barrel is ugly as sin. Moreover the gap has to be large enough to space the rod under the barrel to clear the forward ramrod bolt. However, some guns do not have the forward bolt and that space was filled by the rod with pipes soldered to the barrel. That improves the appearance but not by much.

dave

How about this....
The barrels of the day were lap welded. A flat piece of metal is heated and turned over a bar. When the ends meet, they beat them together. The under rib reinforced the barrel for larger calibers.

I have seen guns with an attachment lug with a pipe above (close to the barrel) and a slot below for a key to hold the barrel to the stock. This would take care of the problem of the attachment lugs being in the way. The lock screw on the gun I remember had only a single screw that was threw the breech plug lug behind the barrel, so no interference there.
The old Sharon Trade rifles were set up this way, I have three of them. It works well and looks good too. The pipe covered by the stock has a key slot below the pipe to attach the stock and the pipes on the outside are soldered to the barrel, no rib is used.

Because it would look like this:
1673933641519.png

verses this:
1673933490219.png

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Back