• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Solder the rib on//anyone looking to do their first read this post.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A member here pm,,d me and gave me pointers. It turned out great. It is kind of a workout. Meaning once you start you are committed until finished.
Don't worry about the mess. I'm pretty good with soldering after 49 yrs in HVAC. And I made a mess and had solder on the barrel and rib in places I didn't want it. All I can say is it happens and clean up is not that bad. I used my new mil file ,worked great.

Here's a couple pics after clean up.

Attachments

• IMG_20230204_181921.jpg
    IMG_20230204_181921.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Well Zug ,,I didn't do the ramrod pipes.Im thinking if I wrap the barrel an rib with cold wet towels I could solder the pipes concentrating the heat on the pipes. What do you think?

Hum -- good luck with that :dunno: . With your knowledge and skill with a torch - MAYBE-:rolleyes:? It would be hard to get a good solder joint between the ram rod pipes and barrel without disturbing the joint between the rib and barrel. Make sure you wire the rib and barrel together real good and tight before trying this.

Ok Zug ,,,anyone want some info. I soldered the ram rod pipes on to the rib. I had done the ribs 2or3 days ago. Didn't have to use wet Ralston keep rib cool besides that cause me to need more heat. The melting point of the solder I used was half of what the silver solder needed for the rib.This solder definitely goes to the heat source. The flux is great and probably won't work without it. It is called tix flux and tix solder. There is a anti flux and it works. I used this stuff a few years ago and it worked great today like it did then. Oh TOW for the solder and flux.

Glad it worked out for you 😊. I silver braze my ram rod pipes on first then soft solder the rib on the barrel.

Zug ti be honest I flat out forgot to do the pipes silver solder then the rib the way you do.The solder I used on the pipes has good strength but nothing like silver.

Rub soap stone over any area that you don't want solder to stick. Just color the metal white. Hardly any clean up at all.

A member here pm,,d me and gave me pointers. It turned out great. It is kind of a workout. Meaning once you start you are committed until finished.
Don't worry about the mess. I'm pretty good with soldering after 49 yrs in HVAC. And I made a mess and had solder on the barrel and rib in places I didn't want it. All I can say is it happens and clean up is not that bad. I used my new mil file ,worked great.
yep soldered couple ribs on, can be messy, but well worth the mess

No - none. I wire the rib to the barrel after I tin both parts every 3 to 4 inches with baling wire I get from ACE Hardware.

The various Hawken's soldered the rib onto their rifles , If you want to re create a Hawken you should also should also do the same .

Sometimes.
There were also some that were screwed on as well as “pinned & peened.”

Really no need to silver solder pipes and under ribs, plain old 60/40 plumbers solder works just fine.
Silver solder takes too much heat anyway.
Clean up is a whole bunch easier, you can scrape most of it off with a dull blade or scrub it off with steel wool.
In addition to the soapstone trick you can also use a standard graphite pencil.

B Newberry. The rib cane with an upward bow.Didne affect anything. I read somewhere that some upward biw was good about 1/8 to 3/16.I didn't use anything to keep solder off places. I just cleaned it up. Actually used a file mostly.

Bnewberry I used silver bearing solder and flux on rib to barrel and used Tix and tix flux from Yow for pipes after rib was done actually 3 days later. Tix takes 1/2 the temp to
lflow and stick good.

Back