• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD SOLD OUT (FOR NOW) Another HC Ball Starter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
BALL STARTER

I have been making a few historically correct ball starters based on this information provided on this forum by Spence 10 on 5-27-17:
_Scloppetaria:_ by Capt. Henry Beaufroy, 1808 [Henry Benjamin Hanbury Beaufroy], originally published as “Scloppetaria, by a Corporal of Riflemen”
https://books.google.com/books?id=...BwMQ6AEIUTAN#v=onepage&q=scloppetaria&f=false

Here's his rammer:

rammer-zpsd54c2bc0-3-2.jpg

As a result a while ago, I had a forum member ask for a starter that could be used with his rifle of .36 caliber. The normal 3/8” brass rod (.375”) is too large of a diameter for the .36 barrel, so I made one with a 5/16” (.3125”) diameter brass rod.

Yesterday I made up another with the 5/16” rod and is being offered for sale.

This one I made has a solid 5/16” brass rod with CURLEY ASH end piece. I drilled and tapped an 8 X 32 hole so that, if you wanted, you could screw in a jag to accommodate a larger ball. I will ship this to you for $18.50. I prefer PP F & F or MO, Check or Cash.

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 4
Update:

After I made this ball starter and sold it as seen above, I received another reply (see above) about a couple more. A PM was sent with photos of another I made expressly for this guy along with a couple others that I had available. After waiting since last Friday, I have yet to hear from him (he has been on the forum a few times so I know he was aware of my offer.)

Thus, another "tire-kicker" had made available a starter of curley Ash, 5/16" brass rod and an 8/32 threaded hole in the rod as seen in these photos:
IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

I am asking $18.50 shipped to you. I like PayPal Family and Friends, check, money order, or cash.
Thanks for looking.
Allan

Your link from Spence,,(?) does not provide information or quantification of an HC (Historically Correct)"ball starter".
It is instead a link to a page about measuring the power of a powder, and the first page of the book plainly shows it's based in London,?
Please provide said documentation of North American Continent use of "ball starter" during 1808 or previous.

Latest posts

Back