• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Soft jaws for vise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toneloc

36 Cl.
Reaction score
What’s your favorite soft jaws for gripping stock during build?

Getting ready for Kibler build.

I’ve got a set of plastic ones, but they are pretty beat up from years of mechanics type work….worried they would mark up a stock. Was thinking to make a fresh set with some plywood….curious what you guys prefer.

Thanks.

When I built my Kibler last year, I just epoxied some thin plywood covered with heavy leather to some cheap plastic vise jaws. Worked OK, just don’t crank down hard.
I’m waiting for a sale on the pattern makers vise though, and will purchase one.
Bob
6A5B2D99-8F17-4B34-A33B-7908A2EFD9EC.jpeg

I also use the leather on plywood jaw liners. I just cut a notch in the plywood that will fit over the vise shaft(terminology?). The wood just sits on that. It is easily removable.

RobertE....those are the exact plastic jaws I have. I was thinking something similar, but probably just made a set from plywood rather than attaching to the plastic. Figured the plastic might be useful for holding different metal pieces.

I'm also thinking I am going to temporarily cantilever my vise out from the edge of my bench towards the middle to get it out from over the bench and give me a little more access.

Eric...like those. thanks. I think I'll go with that design...simple.

as a leather crafter, I use pieces of 1/4" sole leather with a thin garment split leather (2oz?) cover. I just glue the thin leather to the thick with barge cement.

I’ve got a set of plastic ones, but they are pretty beat up from years of mechanics type work….worried they would mark up a stock. Was thinking to make a fresh set with some plywood….curious what you guys prefer.

Thanks.
For my Kibler, I used 2 cheap carpenter vise with wood attached to the jaws and then used some old computer mouse pad in the jaw and a T with carpet on it

Attachments

• 6A3E73F0-B494-4091-A448-6B4A992A30E3.jpeg
    6A3E73F0-B494-4091-A448-6B4A992A30E3.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 62
  • tempImageXcfkJT.png
    tempImageXcfkJT.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
I also use inverted 3/4" thick "U" shaped plywood w/ 2 plies of soft leather....the gripping is excellent and they're removable. They rest on the horizontal vise screw cover and don't fall out because of the "U" shape. The vise is a Starrett and was my only vise until a few yrs ago....wasted my money on a cheap swivel type vise which was only good for very light work.

My only regret was that I didn't make a free standing walk around bench. but my permanently attached to the wall bench helped me build quite a few LRs so wasn't that unhandy and was very stable.....Fred

I just cut a couple pieces of scrap pine or whatever wood I have lying
around. I then drill the mounting holes and attach the wood. Once it gets beat up I just cut new wood and replace it.

Have been using Sranley Workmate wood working vises for 50+years. You can sit and work. Holds many different gun stocks an most working positions. tiny 2" , medium 3', 4' , and metal working vises can be clamped on to the workmate top. Extremely versatile and inexpensive. It doesn't replace a heavy mechanic's bench vice ,but neither does a heavy mechanic's vice do what the Workmate can do. In all the years building m/l's , I wore one Workmate out and am on my 2nd one. I bought a pattern makers vise ,studied it , and gave it to a friend. It just didn't fit into , how I do things now.............. oldwood

Thanks.
Leather is great, glued to long U-shaped pieces of 3/4 inch plywood. Don't make mistake of having tops of your jaw liners go much above the tops of the actual metal vice jaws.

About a year ago I was given a piece of used conveyor belt. Made a new set of jaw liners using that, and they are really grippy.

SAL

I've used carpet tape to line my jaws with leather. Cut leather to fit the jaws of your vise. The carpet tape will hold it in place and if you want to remove it you can.

I have a pattern makers vise with rubber jaws now but still use leather in my other vise for working metal pieces, bbl work, trigger guards etc

Back