• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

So why do *you* enjoy smoothbore shooting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yank question for you, if you don't mind:
Is shooting a single projectile out of a smoothbore *always* illegal, or would it be permissable to dedicate a smoothbore to single projectile shooting and register it as a rifle?
Having lived in Canada, where gun laws are somewhere between the UK and the US, seeing how/why a country implements what restrictions is always interesting to me.
Thanks,
dgfd
Has far has I know and I presume I am correct to shoot a single ball from a shotgun then becomes a Section 1 and must be entered on a firearms certificate which in turn can only be used on a approved range and not for shooting deer etc
Feltwad

I like shooting smooth bore for the challenge. There's no rear sight to mess with, loading is easy, and clean up is not too hard.

I'm with others who have mentioned the historical aspects of smooth bore shooting.

Last edited:
99% of my shooting is with a original sxs muzzle loading percussion and occasionally a s/b flintlock shotguns, this is game shooting mostly driven birds including pest control with two days a month at clays Under the present situation with lockdown this for the last year has been nil hopefully things will ease and I will be able to start my pest control next month.
Feltwad
100_2361.JPG
100_1848.JPG

Last edited:
I really like the idea of being able to do all of my hunting with one gun from small game with shot to deer with round ball. I also really love the historic aspect that my early American ancestors both German immigrants and Native Americans most like used similar arms.

Dear dog food .The UK Govt wont allow any back powder gun to shoot deer with, Since some' Burkit 'expert' decided only a rifle with some theoretical muzzle velocity, foot pounds bumph was fit for that purpose . So excludeing the ML Brown Bess , Enfield, Snider, Martini & even the 600 Nitro' While fully able to kill Elephant dosn't have the MV to meet his expert criteria !!. Bows are also excluded ( Its well known Robin Hood had a guide with a back up 270 ?) .
This dosnt seem to be understood by New Zealand deer who are bowled over by all kinds of black powder guns or rifled ones at least (The Dept of Conservation don't useally allow smooth bores fearing hunters might pot the protected Native Pigion ) nor sub calibers. But suitable bows even crossbows are allowed .The NZ laws being based on realitys not Snobery & predudice. Plus deer are classed as vermin officially defined as ' Noxious animals' being introduced & there being few four legged animals originally & there are no natural preditors nor bad winters so ' Whoopee ' the deer just got on with doing deer things with vast acerage of temperate forests to do it in .Accordingly Ive hunted with every sort of ignition black powder was used with & bows . Given my Druthers I'de go for a smooth double 20 bore light as can be . I hunted last weekend with a 50 cal flint rifle mid 18th English provincial style I made to be 5 pounds weight since I see no reason to hump weight & most shots are a hurried inside 30yards .
Relativley few do use MLs most seem to like the central fire sorts of rifle .( Never catch on, big holes in the back and noisee ) .
Regards Rudyard

I am trying to shoot the flintlock fusil de chasse as near the way it would have been shot in my New England location in the early 18th century. Its a challenge but a lot of fun once I get settled in.
I shot a deer with my TC flintlock Hawken and will with the smoothbore as well as turkey before I'm done.
The rifle was unknown here until long after the revolution.
LBL
F11E96C0-8957-4537-89FB-24546D175987.png

F11E96C0-8957-4537-89FB-24546D175987.png

Living on a fixed income doesn't leave much spare money for frivolities. where I hunt much beyond 50 yds. you can't see a deer let alone get a clear shot at it. I roll paper cartridges for deer, which I carry on a leather cartridge belt box. I don't need a powder horn or a bag of extra balls. At my age and physical condition I have to go as light as possible. The way I see it with a smoothbore I am ready for anything from mice to moose.

dog food, who is going to know what you have stuffed down the barrel, your game wardens shake you guys down out in the field. I relate this too a modern cartridge I have never been asked if I was shooting a 150gr. Bullitt or say a 180 gr. Bullitt in a unmentionable, as far as that goes never been asked what cal. I was hunting with.

I s yet to shoot a smoothie, but I can tell you why I ordered one.

Tradition and elegance, but mostly fun and versatility

All the above. I also just like my gun. It's ultra reliable, good with ball or shot, has killed deer and more accurate than I am.

I recently ordered my first musket so I don't have it yet but the reason I chose smoothbore is to be able to fire shot from it for small game hunting and of course the historical aspect too.

1) appreciation of history. I am continuing the tradition of New Englanders using smootbore guns.

2) versatility. In Massachusetts, I can use my 20ga trade gun to take everything from bear to deer to turkey to rabbit, without changing guns or even barrels.

3) carryability. My trade-gun is 53 inches long from snout to butt (36" barrel), and I would guess it doesnt weigh more than 7 or so pounds. It is downright *comfortable* to carry

Like others above, I enjoy the historical aspect, light weight, versatility, chance to compete in another class, challenge of learning something new, and so on. Sure do go through a lot of lead though. Plus 2 pounds of FFG this winter. About half of that burned in my .69 New England fowler.
Theres a "purity" to smoothbore shooting. I don't know. Ive shot rifles all my life but by golly I am a smoothbore convert.

Shooting a smooth-bore muzzleloader gives me a sense of history and a feeling of purity for this sport. I honestly enjoy the loading process for each shot and I like the fact that each load is a custom load for the gun that I'm holding...very heavy on the intangibles.

Back