Quantcast

So, what are moccasins good for anyway?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Flinty Scot

40 Cal
Reaction score
I re-read this whole thread (gathering ideas all the way) but no one mentioned how walking in moccasins differs from walking in shoes. The closest was a mention of running in them. I'm still green at re-enacting, so maybe it's one of those things everyone takes for granted, so doesn't mention it.

The gait that works best for me, and which limits the slipping problem, is to walk leading with the balls of my feet, not my heels. Wheni was a kid, we called this, and walking with our feet in a straight line - each step in line with the last- walking like an indian. I forget who first taught me this but it might have been my grandfather, born in the 1800's.

I've recently seen this written up as the Medieval stride. Their turnshoes gave little more protection than a soft moccasin. I've been retraining myself how to do it. Not having gotten into the woods much for 40 or 50 years, it's coming slowly, but feels better all of the time. One use of this free time in lockdown.

Dale Lilly

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning. I tried to put photos of my moccasins on with an earlier post but my computer [or the operator] goofed up. So here are some pics. The soft, beautifully beaded ones are from the 92 year old grandmother I spoke about in the earlier post. Polecat

Attachments

Bob McBride

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a pair made by the Poppens that I wear to the deer stand. Since I walk to the stand from the house in full dark with only a red light it is much easier for me to feel a twig or branch underfoot before i put enough pressure to crack it. I can get up the hill much quieter and without leaving a smell of rubber up the hill for the deer to pick up on. I imagine the original intent for white eyes to wear them were similar to mine. Plus they make darn comfy houseshoes....

Rifleman1776

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
It is rare that I am not wearing mocs. Except when I go out into the 'real' world. Putting on shoes I almost have to relearn to walk. Mocs do give some protection from rough ground. But, must admit, at ronny in wet and cold weather they are miserable.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
A181A805-B035-4751-9202-D88BCA9AC546.jpeg

Poppens are hard too beat.... I’ve secretly added some New Balance insoles too mine.

Sure helps us tenderfoots.....

In the Winter months they get a pair of foot warmer insoles and they’re warm as toast.

Down to a little past freezing.

This thread has some really nice wool lined Mocs/Mucs on the first few pages.

I can see a pair of those coming my way in the future..

Last edited:

Bob McBride

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 39857

Poppers are hard too beat.... I’ve secretly added some New Balance insoles too mind.

Sure helps us tenderfoots.....

I the Winter months they get a pair of foot warmer insoles and they’re warm as toast.
down a little past freezing.

This thread has some really nice wool lined Mocs/Mucs on the first few pages.

I can see a pair of those coming in the future..
Ive got the same pair. Thinking about the high ones. I guess they’ve passed the biz over to the daughter here in TN. I need to call her and get my pair resoled.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yea Bob, she has a place just outside of Gatlinburg and as well as going to Friendship.

I got measured at Friendship a few years back, then picked them up on a trip over too the mountains.

Great wearing mocs for sure.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've always wondered just what the heck moccasins were supposed to be good for. I have read period accounts of "frontiersmen" where their moccasins "served the feet much better than shoes", and thought "you're full of c--p". Literary romanticism.

Moccasins are nothing but a thin, soft leather sock, affording no real protection to the feet, and certainly not offering any protection to tender soles from stepping on rocks! Everyone talks about constantly mending their moccasins... why bother??? If you can walk around in moccasins, you can easily walk around barefoot, no fuss, no muss. Sure, in winter, you can make moccasins and stuff them with something in hopes of keeping your feet warm, but otherwise, what good are they? The ONLY thing I can think of is that perhaps it keeps poison ivy (the State Herb of Kentucky) off your feet...

As a tenderfooted guy, who cannot go barefoot, because stepping on a rock or anything else causes crippling pain, I've tried them and I find moccasins utterly pointless. Now, If one had "shoepacks" of heavy cowhide leather, especially with extra soles, then you might have something (and I intend to try making myself a pair).
I have always wondered why sandals, something like the ancient Romans wore, never caught on.
Almost everyone would have had some idea of what they were,
Coming up with or making the stiffer soles In the field could have been somewhat of a problem, but for the most part, possible.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I think it was timing. Ancient indians made sandals but had fallen out of style in North America by two thousand years ago. The were worn in Mexico. North west Europe had not used sandals except for religious orders since the Iron Age. So people just may not have thought of it.

Dale Lilly

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
One of the pairs I made for my wife had THICK buffalo leather soles. Made 40 years ago … used hunting in Idaho for eight years [rocks for sure]. Nearly worn out … but not quite. Polecat

Stophel

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally made myself a pair of shoepacks. I am of the VERY strong opinion (in fact, I am totally convinced) that shoepacks are the exact same thing as the French Canadian Souliers de Boeuf.

I " cheated" in a few ways to make these, but I got them done. I made them of about 6oz leather with an additional 9oz sole attached. I'm sure I don't have the "proper" T-seam stitching in the back, but it'll do. I made them left and right (no sense in making them the same and then trying to force them to fit my feet). And I made them to fit MY feet (which are not 18th century historically accurate feet). The leather is smooth in, rough out... as ALL footwear should be! The rough out surface gives a surprising amount of traction. They are fantastic.

101_3151_800x600.JPG

101_3165_800x600.JPG

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
From what I have read they are the one's all others are judged against.

Always wanted to go there when I was in Friendship, just never did.

Always wanted to get a good pair to wear around the house during the winter.

Latest posts