• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So I wonder now if I'll ever get it 'clean' :) Spot check of barrel, patches look rough

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Napa water soluble cutting oill works just as well for Moose-milk wiping liquor.

I used to use rem oil. I use Ballistol now -- I like it . You can not have to. There are a zillion things to use. Use what works for YOU.

All are good, except... I listened to some Billy once about trying Bore Butter. Eff that. The times I've tried Bore butter to oil the gun, I've had an orange barrel. Never again -- it's a patch/maxi ball lube -- not protectant.

Many things work. My brother uses Water Displacing Formula 40 and has good luck.

I've tried lots of cleaners. Been using Hornady black powder cleaner for five years now and I love it. Citrus oil base so if you wet patch after a day at the range and don't get back to do it up right for a couple days you won't find any rust. After I do it up right I use Birchwood Casey synthetic oil and it's done a great job. :thumb:

I used to use rem oil. I use Ballistol now -- I like it . You can not have to. There are a zillion things to use. Use what works for YOU.

All are good, except... I listened to some Billy once about trying Bore Butter. Eff that. The times I've tried Bore butter to oil the gun, I've had an orange barrel. Never again -- it's a patch/maxi ball lube -- not protectant.

Many things work. My brother uses Water Displacing Formula 40 and has good luck.
I have used WD40 to clean and on my patches for over 50 years and not a rust problem ever. For me it’s simple and its works. After setting a day or so I run an oil patch down the barrel and then back in the gun safe it goes.

After reading good comments on here and other sites and a good friend talking about Ballistol I ordered 4 cans and used it after my last shooting session had two guns that every patch was stained .I ran patches with Ballistol everyday for a week and still stained So after reading some comments on here I used 3 in 1 oil last night and after 3 od 4 patches no more stained patches I guess Ballistol will be a shooting patch lube but not a cleaning patch lube

After reading good comments on here and other sites and a good friend talking about Ballistol I ordered 4 cans and used it after my last shooting session had two guns that every patch was stained .I ran patches with Ballistol everyday for a week and still stained So after reading some comments on here I used 3 in 1 oil last night and after 3 od 4 patches no more stained patches I guess Ballistol will be a shooting patch lube but not a cleaning patch lube
What do you think the stain was? Do you think it was the Ballistol or something the Ballistol was removing or do you have another theory.

Do you think any other mineral oil ( which is the main ingredient in Ballistol) would do the same?

What do you think the stain was? Do you think it was the Ballistol or something the Ballistol was removing or do you have another theory.

Do you think any other mineral oil ( which is the main ingredient in Ballistol) would do the same?
Don't really know it was a light rust color . In the course of a week each gun was swabbed with about 30 patches with Ballistol and with 4 patches of 3in1 both had clean patches

Don't really know it was a light rust color . In the course of a week each gun was swabbed with about 30 patches with Ballistol and with 4 patches of 3in1 both had clean patches
Just checked both guns and used one oiled patch for both and it is clran no stain

Just checked both guns and used one oiled patch for both and it is clran no stain

And regarding the numerous posters and the long history of Ballistol being used with excellent results what do you attribute your results to? I would assume either a very poor quality bore or improper cleaning?

And regarding the numerous posters and the long history of Ballistol being used with excellent results what do you attribute your results to? I would assume either a very poor quality bore or improper cleaning?
Well yon could be wrong on both accounts .Today I checked another rifle that was cleaned with soap and water just like the others it was a new unfired rifle until it was shot a few times and it also had the stain on patches so I used 3in1 and it cleaned up nicely .So don't think all three are poor quality and I have a rifle that has been cleaned my way for 40 years that does not have this problem so my cleaning should be ok also believe others on here have posted similar problems

Well if you love ballistok by all means sir use it I will give it another try one day but look at the original post and pictures and see what you think also try readikg where others have the same issues so for me it is a shooting patch lube for now ad not a bore protectorJMO

I trusted Rem oil on my first flintlock build not knowing better. I put the gun up for a few months and found a red potato patch in the bore when I checked it. I tried Balistol, same result, Baracade worked unless we had a long wet spell of over a month, my gunsafe is in an unheated garage with humidity fluctuations, it does have two humidity rods in it now.

I use Rig or 30 weight motor oil now, so far so good

Rem oil doesn't pass any of the product rust tests when compared to other products and I have the barrel pitting to prove it.

View attachment 137205
Rem Oil. Good lube- not so as protectant. Rig grease for long term don't-know-when-i'll shoot-it-again protection.

I remember reading here many years ago about Bore Butter No No for barrel protection. It works great on my Maxis but I wouldn't use it to protect anything metal.

So..

Out of curiosity I looked up the SDS sheets on both Ballistol and 3 in 1 oil, come to find out they are both mineral oil based products.

3 in 1 is listed as a lubricant

Ballistol site says it lubricates and that it will dissolve copper, zinc and lead.

It also states that it can be used for corrosion resistance, from the web site.

Most corrosion inhibiting lubricants can only protect against normal oxidation. They do so by covering up the surface, which they are supposed to protect, and prevent contact with water and air. Due to its alkalinity Ballistol can also protect against galvanic corrosion, acidic corrosion and salt water corrosion. Ballistol contains oxygen binders. They make the oxygen, contained in water or air, unavailable for oxidation. Due to its low surface tension, Ballistol is capable of creeping into the smallest openings even against gravity. Accordingly, Ballistol provides not only passive but also active protection against corrosion.

FYI

OK ..instead of zeroing down on fellow shooters and their respective choice of cleaner and lube ...
I submit that WHERE the firearm in question lives ..how stable is its surroundings ..a garaged safe enduring VAST temperature changes ..subjected to one or more wet dripping vehicles oil/protectorate possibly have the results or life span of one that lives at 70°/50%humidity
I also submit that two properly cleaned weapons ..one stored in Arizona ..one in Louisiana or Missouri would NOT exhibit equal satisfaction as to cleaning methods, cleaning chemicals and /or durability results
...I'm not knocking anyone's professed place of storage or chem/oil choices ..you got to do what you got to do storage wise
...I am saying after all this palvering ...it may not be a one size fits all kind of deal:doh:
Bear

Back