• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

So I was about to pull the Trigger on a nice Uberti 1858 but I think I might change my mind...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I would love to see a movie about a black powder mafia/gang where all the criminals start clearing out local shops for legal firearms fireworks.

The last time my local shop had caps they were $18.50 a tin. It's a real gouging shop and he bombards you with his ignorant political rants.
I wouldn't put up with political rants unless his caps are 12 or less 😃
I'd be like, look Sir I'm just trying to buy some caps , I don't care

Crackpot gun shop owners can be annoying. I went to a shop I had never been to,my coworker said he has a lot of blackpowder stuff.

So I go in and see he has at least 10 tins of the old CCI 6-wing Musket caps on an otherwise bare shelf. There's no price so I bring one tin up and he looks annoyed to have to serve me. He's like "where did you get that? " on your shelf??

He goes over and takes all of the tins and puts them behind the counter and takes the tin I have and says "i gotta see what they're worth stop back later" I never stopped back. I heard from my coworker the next week or so that the guy is a nut and he does that with everything. Ok.....just close then 😆

He has a Uberti Walker listed for $719.00 and declared that he would have no problem getting that kind of money because some poor felon who is denied gun rights would gladly fork out the change right after they sold a few stolen catalytic converters..
It's funny but cap and ballers have been found in "drug house busts" and posted online, like the cops are all proud to have cleaned the streets of 6 oz. of weed and an 1858 Brasser 😆

Nothing like being held hostage and nodding like a fool as you wish they would check you out faster. 😅

I decided to pull the trigger and buy it. I saw that someone designed a kit to make caps relatively cheaply using soda cans or brass sheets, if I get through these 1000 quickly I might go that route.
I don't have the patience to make caps, but I did "convert" 2 of my revolvers to use red toy caps

So between the two Slixshots would work better with no modifications on my part?
i switched to slixshots on my pietta and they are excellent. i believe they are a little higher in cost than the TOTW though.

I don't have the patience to make caps, but I did "convert" 2 of my revolvers to use red toy caps
I never thought I would have patience to make ammo either but every once in a while I get into a mood and make like 17 blunder bus cartridges in like an hour and a half of rolling coffee filters and hemp twine haha. Kitchen table arts and crafts

I am so glad that I stopped making paper cartridges. total waste of time. I load much faster out of the flask for pistol. I noticed in long gun competition that the guys who load from a horn are consistently faster than the folks fiddling with paper cartridges.

For something like a blunderbuss it is useful for people who don't know anything about black powder, hand them one, tell them to tear, then stuff the thing down the end and they are basically good to go. The revolver cartridges seem very fiddly and doesn't realistically change the time to load. Front stuffers it allows you to pre measure and not worry about someone spilling powder or putting one too many balls in when you aren't looking haha

Is the cap shortage ever planned on cleaning up? Paying $109 for 1000 caps seems pretty excessive for me, I might end up learning how to make my own.
Thats before shipping and hasmat. It comes out to almost $15 a hundred now online.

I happily had the Revolver and Roundball in the cart, even found a nice coupon for it. Eager to spend my tax return and wife even looking forward to firing it. Then I went to go add some percussion caps to the cart and well...

So, I've been a Flintlock guy for a few years and I know some items might be hard to find, but is there no way to purchase caps anymore? It seems like every store on the planet has discontinued carrying them. I've look at all my local stores and have had no luck. Expanded to online stores, and there are none available online either.

I don't know if I want to move from flintlock to percussion if its just going to be a wall hanger, seems like a waste of money. Maybe I should just buy a nice flintlock pistol instead? Might not be able to hit the broadside of a barn but at least I could actually shoot it. Kind of disappointing.

PS: another issue is I don't know which size caps the revolver takes until I get it, I found one place that has #11 but I would need to buy thousand in bulk without knowing.
I have cap & ball revolvers & flintlock pistols. It cost @ $12. to spend an afternoon shooting flints. The same amount of time with the cap guns costs @ $15. ... I bought a reloading stand for the revolvers. It takes a little longer, but with the cylinder out, it's easy to load.. no mistakes on the charge, buffer, or seating the ball.. I make "charges" of powder with nitrate paper for both to cut down on time.. extra cylinder is a bonus.. ld get 1 of each, then decide further..

the guys winning biathlons in our league are loading from the horn. I know i am faster actual shooting time with my current system than I was with paper cartridges. I am also saving hours of fiddling time. The other factor is that summertime here in new England the humidity ruins my paper cartridges in 24hrs causing lots of hang fires.

For something like a blunderbuss it is useful for people who don't know anything about black powder, hand them one, tell them to tear, then stuff the thing down the end and they are basically good to go. The revolver cartridges seem very fiddly and doesn't realistically change the time to load. Front stuffers it allows you to pre measure and not worry about someone spilling powder or putting one too many balls in when you aren't looking haha
This is basically why I roll cartridges for rifled-muskets and smoothbores, it's just more convenient on range day to have everything I need self contained , it's easier to load and it's impossible to "dry ball", double ball, double charge etc. Plus I enjoy rolling up carftridges, when I'm in the mood and I have the time. It's a satisfying experience and going to the range with a cartridge box full of cartridges is also a neat experience.

I will probably never mess with revolver cartridges in any real quantity. I made some older style Dragoon cartridges that were basically the same as musket carrtridges, no paper goes in the chamber and I may do this again but I enjoy using the flask, and pouring loose powder, and ramming the ball or bullet. it's easier to pack for range day too.

I bought those plastic small tubes from Dixie? Holds your charge and bullet, waterproof,easy. Blackie Smith video is where I learned of em.

Nothing like being held hostage and nodding like a fool as you wish they would check you out faster. 😅

I decided to pull the trigger and buy it. I saw that someone designed a kit to make caps relatively cheaply using soda cans or brass sheets, if I get through these 1000 quickly I might go that route.
I’ve been using DIY caps from rimfire reloader.com and have had zero issues with them.

Where are you getting 1000 for 109.00 before hazmat? Asking for a friend…

I'll look into it thanks! I see a lot of people recommending slixshot. Is track of the wolf or slixshot nipples better? Which better fits #11? (I bought 1000 from midsouth)
I have slixshots on my 58 and fits the cci 11s perfectly. Have no experience with track of the wolf so cant say which is better

Back