• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

So I was about to pull the Trigger on a nice Uberti 1858 but I think I might change my mind...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osseon

40 Cal
Reaction score
I happily had the Revolver and Roundball in the cart, even found a nice coupon for it. Eager to spend my tax return and wife even looking forward to firing it. Then I went to go add some percussion caps to the cart and well...

So, I've been a Flintlock guy for a few years and I know some items might be hard to find, but is there no way to purchase caps anymore? It seems like every store on the planet has discontinued carrying them. I've look at all my local stores and have had no luck. Expanded to online stores, and there are none available online either.

I don't know if I want to move from flintlock to percussion if its just going to be a wall hanger, seems like a waste of money. Maybe I should just buy a nice flintlock pistol instead? Might not be able to hit the broadside of a barn but at least I could actually shoot it. Kind of disappointing.

PS: another issue is I don't know which size caps the revolver takes until I get it, I found one place that has #11 but I would need to buy thousand in bulk without knowing.

Last edited:
There was a thread earlier saying Midsouth Shooters Supply has them.
#10 and #11 caps are available. I have had no problem getting them. You may not have them local but if you sniff around you can find them.
They are out of stock, only have magnums which I don't believe fit.

Do you have any hints where you could find them? Tried the usuals like Dixie, track, midway, etc

They are out of stock, only have magnums which I don't believe fit.

Do you have any hints where you could find them? Tried the usuals like Dixie, track, midway, etc
Get any CCI #11 you can find . Magnum and regular #11 are the same size

A set of nipples from Track of the Wolf made for CCI #11 is only 30 bucks

Small mom and pop shops are usually good places to turn up caps because they can have them hanging out under the counter from years ago , and they sometimes don't sell more than a tin at a time

My local "old man" gun shop bought an Estate , and in the lot of stuff was a bunch of old Remington and Italian caps. That he said have been sitting there for years, and not a lot of people ask for caps . I bought every tin of caps. He didn't care, my money is as Green as anyone else's

Just do what we did before the internet, go gun shop hopping and hunt down what you need. I remember when finding weird ammo and supplies was fun , and it wasn't all internet searching

I'll look into it thanks! I see a lot of people recommending slixshot. Is track of the wolf or slixshot nipples better? Which better fits #11? (I bought 1000 from midsouth)

I happily had the Revolver and Roundball in the cart, even found a nice coupon for it. Eager to spend my tax return and wife even looking forward to firing it. Then I went to go add some percussion caps to the cart and well...

So, I've been a Flintlock guy for a few years and I know some items might be hard to find, but is there no way to purchase caps anymore? It seems like every store on the planet has discontinued carrying them. I've look at all my local stores and have had no luck. Expanded to online stores, and there are none available online either.

I don't know if I want to move from flintlock to percussion if its just going to be a wall hanger, seems like a waste of money. Maybe I should just buy a nice flintlock pistol instead? Might not be able to hit the broadside of a barn but at least I could actually shoot it. Kind of disappointing.

PS: another issue is I don't know which size caps the revolver takes until I get it, I found one place that has #11 but I would need to buy thousand in bulk without knowing.
If you found the gun you like and want, buy it. It may be much harder to find the gun at later date when you have caps. And caps are out there if you look hard enough.

I'll look into it thanks! I see a lot of people recommending slixshot. Is track of the wolf or slixshot nipples better? Which better fits #11? (I bought 1000 from midsouth)
I have only used TotW but they fit #11 perfectly

I take a cleaning patch and some Mag Polish, and "burnish" the cone part by hand just to help the caps go on when they're dirty

The stainless is very hard and they'll probably last you forever

If you found the gun you like and want, buy it. It may be much harder to find the gun at later date when you have caps. And caps are out there if you look hard enough.
My motto is , just buy everything when you see it for a good price .....revolvers , caps, round balls, powder

It's better to have plenty then for another panic/shortage to clean everything out

I'll never forget the guy at my local gun shop, at the peak of the COVID panic shortage, casually ask for 9mm and the owner just chuckled like, nobody has anything, anywhere unless you want to pay $100 a box on GunBroker....and no one dipping into their personal stash to sell any. I think the owner found a box of .357 Sig like, I have this, no one has cleaned me out of the really weird stuff, yet

That stuck with me. And I had plenty of .22 and bp supplies at home at this time because I bought until it hurt previously

I recently bought a Uberti Remington - it's a really nice gun, you won't be sorry you bought it. I think the cap availability problem is starting to get better. My local Fleet Farm store has a bunch, not old stock they found, but a fairly new shipment of CCI 11's. 10's are hard to find but the difference between them is very little. Either size works with a little pinching if they seem too loose. A lot of people replace the nipples with some from Track of the Wolf - mine seem to work ok with #11's.
It looks like $10 or $11 is going to become the new normal price.

My motto is , just buy everything when you see it for a good price .....revolvers , caps, round balls, powder

It's better to have plenty then for another panic/shortage to clean everything out

I'll never forget the guy at my local gun shop, at the peak of the COVID panic shortage, casually ask for 9mm and the owner just chuckled like, nobody has anything, anywhere unless you want to pay $100 a box on GunBroker....and no one dipping into their personal stash to sell any. I think the owner found a box of .357 Sig like, I have this, no one has cleaned me out of the really weird stuff, yet

That stuck with me. And I had plenty of .22 and bp supplies at home at this time because I bought until it hurt previously

Is the cap shortage ever planned on cleaning up? Paying $109 for 1000 caps seems pretty excessive for me, I might end up learning how to make my own.

I recently bought a Uberti Remington - it's a really nice gun, you won't be sorry you bought it. I think the cap availability problem is starting to get better. My local Fleet Farm store has a bunch, not old stock they found, but a fairly new shipment of CCI 11's. 10's are hard to find but the difference between them is very little. Either size works with a little pinching if they seem too loose. A lot of people replace the nipples with some from Track of the Wolf - mine seem to work ok with #11's.
It looks like $10 or $11 is going to become the new normal price.
All of the major box stores near me, that sell gun stuff have caps . Either CCI #11 or like the Cabelas , CCI #10

12 bucks is the new "good price "

They seem to be restocking too. People don't gobble up caps here, they gobble up .22 LR ammo .

$109 for 1000 is a good price

Caps are coming back , but we're not going to see below 12 a tin probably ever again
Fair, I think between the hazmat fee and that it seems the only time anything is in stock its in bulk gives me a bit of sticker shock. Would be nice to buy like 2 tins and pay $25 including shipping but maybe I'm just too frugal for my own good. I was having heart attack when I first had to buy powder lol.

I have both TOTW and slixshot nipples. The #11's fit a little tight on the TOTW nipples. I put them in my hand drill motor and polished them up to where they work just fine. I'm happy with either of these nipples on my revolvers.

I have both TOTW and slixshot nipples. The #11's fit a little tight on the TOTW nipples. I put them in my hand drill motor and polished them up to where they work just fine. I'm happy with either of these nipples on my revolvers.
So between the two Slixshots would work better with no modifications on my part?

The last time my local shop had caps they were $18.50 a tin. It's a real gouging shop and he bombards you with his ignorant political rants.
Nothing like being held hostage and nodding like a fool as you wish they would check you out faster. 😅

I decided to pull the trigger and buy it. I saw that someone designed a kit to make caps relatively cheaply using soda cans or brass sheets, if I get through these 1000 quickly I might go that route.

He has a Uberti Walker listed for $719.00 and declared that he would have no problem getting that kind of money because some poor felon who is denied gun rights would gladly fork out the change right after they sold a few stolen catalytic converters..

Latest posts

Back