• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So... I REALLY want one!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkloos

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I really want a Cap and Ball pistol. I shoot both percussion and flintlock in reenactments, but have never fired a percussion pistol. However, now that I joined a cavalry unit, I am going to be needing to get one (which is OK by me, I LOVE THESE THINGS). Can someone give me some direction on a good one to get? I'd like something that will hold up well in all sorts of weather, fires a heavy enough load to use as a backup pistol (not in reenactments!!) but is also not a huge cumbersome piece that I can't holster easily, and is also relatively cheap. If I had the funds, I would have a LeMat (my favorite pistol of all time for many reasons) enroute to my house this very instant, but wow they are expensive. Any help is really appreciated.

Hiya Hang,
You are kinda asking if redheads or blonds are better :hmm:
I am VERY new to C&Bs but I would think that either a Ruger OA or a .44cal Remmie or Colt copy would be right up your alley.
Try to hold and if ya can , fire each type. The Ruger and Rems are a touch big for my hands --- the Colt 51/60 etc. fit me much better.
Or just buy one of each :grin:
Good luck -- Jailbird

If you have joined a unit, you might want to check with them and find out if they have any restrictions on what they want you to use.

If for reenacting it would depend on what your unit was armed with. For a civ war cav unit an 1860 is pretty much a sure bet. They are sweet sexy guns & I am sure you wont be disapointed.
I would recomend getting one from Uberti. Generally speaking they are the best out there.

The'60 Army is the way to go. The ROA isn't appropriate as it did not exist in this period. A
'51 or '61 Colt Navy might work. The Remington '63 Army model is a possibility, too.

The Colt 1860 Army is a beautiful gun, the slim and graceful lines of that model have never been surpassed and they handle and shoot as good as they look.
Lemats are "a heap of trouble". Just getting one to go BANG can be a gunsmithing challenge, if not a nightmare. One cowboy action shooter proposed that the next shoot should include a Lemat throwing contest. :rotf:

Thanks alot for all the tips. Its narrowed down to either an 1860 Army or 1851 Navy. And LeMats can certainly fire... the man in Cold Mountain made it go off all nine times :haha:, and hollywood can't be wrong.

The Lemat is a good toy for shooting but few were made and most were in officer's hands. I'd vote for the 1860 Army by Uberti. If you like a little touch of something different, try the full fluted cylinder model. A couple ounces less weight to boot!

Here's another vote for the 1860 Army. You will not be disappointed. Also, I second the Uberti over the Pietta; fit-n-finish is somewhat better, and Pietta has an annoying habit of marking up the barrel in places that point out the fact that it's a repro... not that that affects anything but the illusion.

It looks like you are in New Jersey- what type outfit are you with? (Union/Confederate) The Lemat (I thought) was really more of a confederate sidearm. Elmer Keith in his book sixguns said a lot of the Confederate cavalry units favored the more powerful 44, although both the 44 and 36 were used.

:hmm: I would personally like a LeMat (cavalry model)for my shooting collection. However, the fact that it is made by Pietta and it's price as well leads me to avoid the purchase. I personally would not own nor order anything made by Pietta, they are not worth it, due to awful construction, non-fitting parts, scratches, beat up screws and total failure to work IMHO. As stated find out what your unit uses and follow their example. :v :thumbsup:

I've been wanting a LeMat really bad too. I don't care for Piette and generally avoid their guns. Though I'd buy their LeMat if it was priced lower just because they're the only one making it.

I've never owned a Uberti, but I've heard they are good guns, but I've owned 3 Piettas, all 'Buffalo' '58 Rems. and all have shot well - I sold 2 of them only to find that the value has increased dramatically, the one I have now popped the hand spring around shot 300, I replaced and bought a spare as insurance about 200 shots back - including one that blew the brains out of a 100 lb. or so wild hog!
Works for me :hatsoff:

I know I will be disappointed but I figure I will ask anyway... does anyone make repros of either a Massachusetts Adams Revolver or of a Lefaucheux? I know these are kind of obscure, but those are great looking guns.

I have Piettas, Ubertis, a Colt 3rd gen, ad Armi San Paolo(Euroarms) I wouldn't hesitate and am about to buy another 1860 Pietta, the new Piettas are out doing the Ubertis. Since they bought new CNC machinery to make um' they have done quite well. Integrity, fit, finnish and Price.
For those Uberti lovers, I'm one too...I'd look into it. My 1860 Pietta is 10yrs old and still pop a jackrabbit at 50yds. I shoot the heck out of it. The new models are very much improved. I'm not knockin' Uberti cause I like um. But I'm gettin' another 1860 Pietta for $184-$209 depending on Cabelas or EMF Hartford Model.[url] http://www.emf-company.com/1860-model-army-revolver.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've shot a '51 navy .44 (liked the feel and balance but not very accurate) Uberti, capper muzzler .50 'Hawken' type pistol, a Ruger OA ( I know, not PC) and of course the 12" barrrel '58 Rem 'Buffalo' (had 3 at one time) and the 'Buffalo' has been my favorite - powerful, accurate and unique looking. Planning on sending it to 'Clement's' for work over. And later a shoulder stock to fit. Would like to have a '60 army but a big smoothbore comes first.

The new Piettas are great guns. They've really improved a lot while it seems that Uberti is still about the same as it always was. The only bad experiences I've had with Piettas were older ones, but I think it's going to take some time being around the new Piettas to start trusting them again.

I have a 51 Pietta and a Uberti Dragoon. They both shoot great. Last week I made the trip to Cabela's and bought the Pietta 60. Well, it did not shoot for sheet! The hammer spring is way too weak and the lockup on two chambers is loose. I am bringing it back to Cabela's next week and I am considering on giving them another chance with a replacement. But I could return it and make the trek to Dixon's, about 20 minutes away, and buy the Uberti for another 50 bucks more :hmm:

Riverrat - What are your thoughts on the '51 Pietta? Its a cheap (pricewise) gun on the Cabelas site, and looks like a good starter for someone new to cap and ball. Do you recommend it? I'm in no rush to buy one, so if you all think I should wait and order a nicer Uberti I will go with the experienced opinion.

Back