• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

So, I got the bug to make a horn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You might say I was inspired by the guys on here that have made horns. I just got back into Black powder shooting after a 30 some odd year layoff. I had a horn that was a generic store bought horn with a brass nozzle that had a measure built in. Don't worry, I was smart enough to never pour directly into the muzzle with it. Anyway, here is my new horn. Still needs a strap and a stopper (fiddle peg on the way).
20200401_131724.jpg

That word "bug" in the title got my attention. I had to read it twice to make sure you weren't talking about carpet beetles. There was a thread on this forum last year about how bugs like to eat on horns and antlers. Good job!

Thanks guys. Lot of help on here and YouTube. I made a shooting bag a few weeks ago and a primer. When I get a chance, I'll post up some pictures

Must be the light. Soaked it standing in dark brown Rit dye for about 20 minutes. The natural color on the end of the horn was that blond color.

where did you learn to scrimshaw, and what tools did you use? BTW- it a gorgeous piece!

I don't really know how to scrimshaw although I always liked it. I searched online a learned what I could. I traced an elk picture with a pencil onto the horn and then scratched it in. The mountains and trees I penciled in freehand. For a tool, I made one with a large nail that I wrapped with tape and cloth. Then I sharpened it on a knife stone. It needs to be sharpened a lot. I also used one of those magnifying lamps that I use for fly tying. The hoof prints I did with a Dremel. I'm proof that anyone can do it I guess.

Latest posts

Back