• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

So I bought myself a Pedersoli Bounty Hunter Pistol.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_fare

36 Cal.
Reaction score
It is a .45 cal percussion model. I got it on sale at Midway for $450.00.
Facts about the gun:
Bore dia.= .455"
Groove dia.= .468"
Barrel twist is 1:18".
Number of lands and grooves: 8
I started out using .440" rb w/ 30 grns 3F and a .010" lubed patches. This shot 2" groups off the bench at 25 yds. I then upped the powder charge to 35 grns and the group blew up. So I then tried a .445 rb with a .010" lubed patch, with 40 grns 3F and the group size was 1.5". So then I maxed out my powder measure at 50 grns 3F, .445" rb and .010" lubed patches. Got the same 1.5" group at 25 yds.
Frankly I'm surprised that it shot so well with the 1:18" rifling twist.
Should I try conicals, like a maxiball?

Facts about the gun:
Bore dia.= .455"
Groove dia.= .468"
I started out using .440" rb w/ 30 grns 3F and a .010" lubed patches. This shot 2" groups off the bench at 25 yds. I then upped the powder charge to 35 grns and the group blew up. So I then tried a .445 rb with a .010" lubed patch, with 40 grns 3F and the group size was 1.5". So then I maxed out my powder measure at 50 grns 3F, .445" rb and .010" lubed patches. Got the same 1.5" group at 25 yds.
Id just stick with the roundballs. Doesn’t get much better than a 1.5 inch group with a handgun. Some will disagree but with my eyes I’d be happy.

I love those old Kentucky style/Pirate looking pistols. I have a .45 Miroku
that I love. These were offered as kits By Sears at one time, the prior
owner told me. Made in Japan, but I shoot 50gr 3f with RB and it is
accurate and I believe a great safety item in areas where maybe the
unmentionables are legally frowned upon(photo coming up). Ya I know its loaded.
0715212058.jpg
0715212058a.jpg

Last edited:
So I then tried a .445 rb with a .010" lubed patch, with 40 grns 3F and the group size was 1.5". So then I maxed out my powder measure at 50 grns 3F, .445" rb and .010" lubed patches. Got the same 1.5" group at 25 yds.

IF it ain't "broke" don't go tryin' ta fix it! ☺

Besides I think that heavy a bullet will put a lot of stress on your wrist and you palm where the thumb joint rests.

Thanks for the report. I'm eyein' a flintlock version BUT my AC just blew-up, so my gun budget is going to be depleted by the HVAC guy. 😣
I want to fit mine with a removable shoulder stock. I was thinkin' about doing a sort of Colonel Mortimer, 18th century style.

LD

I saw those at Midway, and was really tempted, but I've already spent way too much $$$ this year on stuff. Looks like you are getting some pretty good results with yours.

I have an old CVA pistol in .45 cal, looks like yours. I only load 20 grns 3F and a .440 prb in it and it shoots really well. With this I look for accuracy not power. I have no idea how old it is as I got it second or third hand for a real good price.

My CVA Mountain pistol is 50 cal and i want to try some 240 grn PA bullets but just havent got around to it yet.

I have an old CVA pistol in .45 cal, looks like yours. I only load 20 grns 3F and a .440 prb in it and it shoots really well. With this I look for accuracy not power. I have no idea how old it is as I got it second or third hand for a real good price.
I too also have a CVA Kentucky pistol in .45. In fact, it was the first gun I ever purchased. It came in kit form. It loves 30 grns 3F and a .440 rb with a .010" patch. Very accurate. Rifling grooves are very shallow, so thicker patches don't seem to help accuracy. Years ago I used .012" patches, but I can't seem to find them anymore, only .010" and then .015".

I think the groups you are getting would satisfy almost any of us.

With upping the powder charge in a short barrel, as on a pistol, you can reach a point at which you are just blowing unburned powder out of the muzzle. So, in a pistol, powder charges might be necessarily less than in a muzzleloading rifle of the same caliber, which could burn a heavier charge in its longer barrel. You need the faster twist in the pistol barrel to stabilize the ball with the lower powder charge. 1:18 sounds appropriate to me.

In their book about percussion handguns, authors Mike Cumpston and Johnny Bates reported trying Lee R.E.A.L. bullets in a Lyman Plains Pistol with good results, so people have tried that sort of thing. However, I don't know if you can get a bullet like that for your .445" Bounty Hunter, and I'm not necessarily recommending that you try it. I think you are getting excellent round all accuracy and performance from a pistol intended for patched round balls.

Enjoy your pistol! It sounds like you got a good one.

Notchy Bob

That Pedersoli "Bounty" pistol is a favorite of mine. I got Pedersoli's kit, and built one for my son. Nice, even walnut in the stock, but little or no fancy grain. The inletting is close and tight.
I did do some checkering on that long forearm - with a 16" barrel, you can do well by using one hand on the pistol grip, one hand on the forearm, just a with a rifle.
Those 8 lands/grooves seem to impart a fine spin to about anything. I test shot the one I built, and on the bench at 25 yards, 30 gr with a .440 ball, 0.015 patch seemed to produce nice groups. Did not measure them, but the three shots almost made a cloverleaf. Don't know what the heck he is doing with it now, as we are no longer in touch.
I am trying to get the flint version for myself.

Facts about the gun:
Bore dia.= .455"
Groove dia.= .468"
Only other adjustment you could make would be to try with some .015 patches. But 1.5" is a great group with a pistol!

Latest posts

Back