• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So I bought a cannon to restore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It certainly couldn't hurt to get it inspected if you are at all unsure of the manufacturer / history / provenance of the piece. Is it iron or steel? If you think it might be a modern tube from someone like Steen cannons, or Hern, you're probably ok, but there is a LOT of destructive power pent up with several ounces (or a pound) of powder.

The Greybeard Outdoors web site has a lot more contemporary information on cannons, as does the American Artillery Association and N-SSA.

All I'm saying is that the ATF classifies destructive devices as destructive devices for a reason (even though muzzle loaders are exempt from it), so it never hurts to be especially respectful and mindful of that when you are firing them, regardless of their "legal status".

My wife has said "NO!!!" for 35 years, every time I've suggested I should get a cannon. At one time I commented how a Naval mine beside the flag pole (tastefully done) would look so good. "NO!!!" But I still ask a couple of times a year.

Worked with a guy who had a cannon story. As a kid he asked his Dad if he could have a cannon. The answer was "Son you are not old enough for a cannon." He waited a couple of years and ask the same and got the same answer. Another couple of years same question and same answer. So he followed up with "When will I be old enough to have a cannon?" His Dads answer, "Son you will never be old enough to have a cannon." Apparently Dad thought a cannon too dangerous. He grew up to become a bomber pilot in WWII over Europe. Yea I suppose safer? Have been told that the Army Air Corps lost more men than the Marine Corps in the war. He was lucky to have survived his military service. A cannon didn't seem all that dangerous. Don't think he ever got a cannon, except for the armament on his bomber.

So far, so good. Wooden wheels are the Achilles heel on any such piece and yours appear to be in good condition.

Yea, Gun Tramp has it right. I am an old farm boy and any thing with wooden wheels was always parked in the barn. As part of your restoration consider a pole barn roof cover and treated lumber chocks under the the wheels and trail. We have two cannons and two wagons with wooden wheels, all of which are stored inside. You will be much happier with the results come years later. NM is drier than OH, but keeping it out of the weather is still good advice.

If I missed it, I'm sorry but a bit of advice to pass on. For some reason yellow jackets and other wasps love these things. Be cautious when looking into the muzzle.

I saw your other post, and am no expert, but the ornateness, plus the obvious bore reduction makes me think this was a Spanish-American War bring back. Spanish artillery piece which was probably a salute gun. It's a SWAG, but once you get the multi-layers of paint off, the truth will be revealed. No way this doesn't have multiple foundry marks on it.

Looking at one of the pics, the one where you can see in the mouth of the bore, it looks as if the end cap at the muzzle is may be a welded on. Just looking at the groove you can see inside the muzzle. No idea really.

I have determined the barrel is covered with metal and has concrete in middle.
The OP posted this on January 28th in his thread "Trying to identify my new cannon." I haven't seen further description but apparently the tube consists of a fabricated metal jacket containing concrete and a bore-sized something.

Simething I have always wanted. Like you, I think it would be awesome in the front yard. On mornings when I miss the Army, fire off a blank charge at 5:00 am. The neighbors would love it too, I'm sure.
Be sure to post pics during restoration

Back