So I been thinking...

Discussion in 'The Gun Builder's Bench' started by Tb54, Dec 4, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Dec 5, 2019 #21

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

You do get a longer site radius for sure. Using GO 3f Lyman shows a 100 grain charge as having MV of 1882 fps in a 26” barrel, a 43” barrel 1978. At 100 yards 501 foot pounds compared to 461 foot pounds in the 26” barrel 92% of the energy. I like the looks of long and a 26”barrel looks like a sawed off gun to me, so is a 8% increase worth the extra weight if you can get over how ugly short guns are(sic).?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. Dec 6, 2019 #22

Sidney Smith

Sidney Smith

Sidney Smith

45 Cal.

Why not modify your strategy instead of the gun? If it were me, I'd have my sons, who are alot younger than me, and in much better shape, to push the thick stuff, while I sit on the edge at a funnel area or other escape route, and just wait them out with my 42 inch barreled Lancaster,.

roondad, Brokennock and Woodnbow like this.
  3. Dec 7, 2019 #23

Tb54

Tb54

Tb54

Pilgrim

Awesome discussion guys, thanks for the replies. Dad used to use me to bird dog brushy draws too. Maybe that’s why even now I tend to get in the middle of the thickest garbage around. I thought of a pistol, but I think my biggest concern is the quest for the “ perfect” gun... a good brush gun for muzzel loading season that won’t leave me wanting if the longer shot shows up before or after I’m in the brush. Unfortunately the financial situation don’t allow for purchasing it, and the idea of making / modifying something appeals to me, if I can do it on the cheap.

4. Dec 7, 2019 #24

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

45 Cal. MLF Sponsor MLF Supporter

Yep. That brings back memories. That's exactly what they did to me and my cousins in my teens. "You boys drive this patch of woods and we'll go around and be waiting on the other side." "Wait about 20 minutes before you start so we can get into position..."

roondad, Brokennock and Woodnbow like this.
  5. Dec 8, 2019 #25

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Remember, you may not have to go as short as you think to achieve the desired result. Previously someone used an "unmentionable" gun, with a receiver and chamber area contributing to the o.a.l. of the firearm as an example stating the barrel length and how good it is in thick brush. Your desired muzzleloader won't have a receiver adding to the length of your gun, so you if said cartridge arm had a 24" barrel (I don't remember and have had too much cider to go back looking for it) you can add 4 to 6 inches to that for your muzzleloader and wind up with the same "handiness" of the unmentionable example.

I just can't see any reason to go much less than 36" myself. I hunt with a full length long rifle and with a 62" flat bow and a 64" recurve, sometimes in thick mountain laurel, beech saplings, or hemlocks, add a 27" arrow with a 3" long broadhead to that mix, and rarely have an issue due to equipment length. The suggestion to change your style/technique instead of equipment isn't a bad one either.

Draft saved Draft deleted