• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So I’m “making a purse out of a sows ear” or vice versa!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve heard that term a lot.. “can’t make a a purse out of a sows ear”, anyhow I got this little rifle for really cheap. It’s a cva sharpshooter, it’s probably one of the cheapest of the cva line. Having some time on my hands before I start my new job, I decided to redo the stock and reconfigure a few things. Adding a new trigger gaurd and nose cap. Also front and rear sights will be ordered, barrel defarbed and either browned or French grey. The only thing I’m at a loss for is what kind of buttplate I should use. I have one for a cva hawken coming, but I may not use it… the butt of the stock is very streight so I’m still looking at that one. I have a stock photo of the rifle as it sits now. I’ll post some progress pics along the way if anyone cares to see them.
BTW, can any body give me the rate or twist for that short barrel?

Attachments

• 94A0FCE4-E28C-4F87-9C91-D7628708E7E6.png
    94A0FCE4-E28C-4F87-9C91-D7628708E7E6.png
    792 KB · Views: 160
It would be best to measure it yourself, with a tight patch on your RR or a cleaning rod.

Push the rod in for one revolution & measure how many inches the rod moved during the single rotation.

Last edited:
Well, just measured the rate of twist, the barrel is just 26 inches total lenght including breach plug. Anyhow, running a tight patch all the way to the breach, im only getting just a little over half a rotation until I run out of barrel… im thinking it could be 1:48?

I’m hoping so! I’m still trying to come up with a suitable buttplate. This rifle doesn’t have a cheek rest, and basically has a modern shotgun style plastic buttplate on it. Any suggestions?
Go crazy and make a butt plate to suit you. Shouldn’t be to hard to do with minimal tools and effort. Or just take that Hawken plate you have coming and modify it. I think it’d be pretty cool to have a rifle that I made the furniture for. Either way, I’ll be following along to see the transformation.

SK,

How close is it too a Renegade butt plate? Or an older steel military style butt place?

French Grey I think would look great on that gun.👍

Look forward too seeing the “ silk purse”!👍

Well I done some work this eve, removed some wood..and cut original trigger guard off of trigger plate and single trigger ( it was originally all one piece) … will be able to tackle more tomorrow. I’m not the greatest photographer.. sorry in advance!

Attachments

• A963CE22-074C-4E94-AF4E-57CDB8415BBF.jpeg
    A963CE22-074C-4E94-AF4E-57CDB8415BBF.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 66
  • F6E99695-6BF0-457B-8C99-3B45BD9C4663.jpeg
    F6E99695-6BF0-457B-8C99-3B45BD9C4663.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 573C5E2B-05FF-437D-9BCD-536B598EC872.jpeg
    573C5E2B-05FF-437D-9BCD-536B598EC872.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 71
I’ve heard that term a lot.. “can’t make a a purse out of a sows ear”, anyhow I got this little rifle for really cheap. It’s a cva sharpshooter, it’s probably one of the cheapest of the cva line. Having some time on my hands before I start my new job, I decided to redo the stock and reconfigure a few things. Adding a new trigger gaurd and nose cap. Also front and rear sights will be ordered, barrel defarbed and either browned or French grey. The only thing I’m at a loss for is what kind of buttplate I should use. I have one for a cva hawken coming, but I may not use it… the butt of the stock is very streight so I’m still looking at that one. I have a stock photo of the rifle as it sits now. I’ll post some progress pics along the way if anyone cares to see them.
I also have a sharpshooter in the pile to customize when I get the next project or two finished. It may be my cheapest rifle yet. Found it in great condition in a local pawn shop and the price tag was $100.00 I traded even for it with a guitar I didn't play anymore that was worth about $60.00. Dry-balled it right out of the gate and did a little cosmetic damage while pulling the ball. Darn thing shoots great though. I love it and also haven't decided exactly what to do to it. On that butt plate issue, I thought about reshaping the back end and fitting a Hawken plate on it. But now I am thinking about just making one out of steel. Would be pretty easy to copy the plastic one and it would be similar to the TC rifles. Working on a custom Hawken I was going to use for the ML deer opener this weekend but didn't get it finished in time so I might take the sharpshooter on the first day. Keep us posted on your project and thanks for posting.

Tim

By the way, seems like they are 1:48. It shoots round balls great...

I also have a sharpshooter in the pile to customize when I get the next project or two finished. It may be my cheapest rifle yet. Found it in great condition in a local pawn shop and the price tag was $100.00 I traded even for it with a guitar I didn't play anymore that was worth about $60.00. Dry-balled it right out of the gate and did a little cosmetic damage while pulling the ball. Darn thing shoots great though. I love it and also haven't decided exactly what to do to it. On that butt plate issue, I thought about reshaping the back end and fitting a Hawken plate on it. But now I am thinking about just making one out of steel. Would be pretty easy to copy the plastic one and it would be similar to the TC rifles. Working on a custom Hawken I was going to use for the ML deer opener this weekend but didn't get it finished in time so I might take the sharpshooter on the first day. Keep us posted on your project and thanks for posting.

Tim
I’ve not heard of anyone else owning one of these besides myself! Glad to hear it shoots good, when I’m done with it I’ll prolly gift it to my step son if he shows enough interest. If he doesn’t I’ll keep it and shoot it and enjoy it. Thanks for your post and interest!

I’ve not heard of anyone else owning one of these besides myself! Glad to hear it shoots good, when I’m done with it I’ll prolly gift it to my step son if he shows enough interest. If he doesn’t I’ll keep it and shoot it and enjoy it. Thanks for your post and interest!
Have you done anything else with it? I liked the work you have done so far, particularly removing that wood and adding the brass trigger guard. Here are a few pictures of mine. Notice the missing ramrod thimble and missing finish at the back end of the barrel. Those were the results of the damage I did fixing a dry-ball situation. The target is from two days ago and is a five shot group. The one shot that is separate from the others was with a 25 grain squirrel load. Had to empty it first, then the other four shots making the ragged hole is with 70 grains and a thinly patched .490 round ball. Shots were taken from about 35 yards, which is about the maximum distance I can shoot in my particular overgrown hunting spot.

Attachments

• WP_20211103_17_16_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20211103_17_16_32_Pro.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 31
  • WP_20211103_17_16_38_Pro.jpg
    WP_20211103_17_16_38_Pro.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 23
  • WP_20211103_17_16_41_Pro.jpg
    WP_20211103_17_16_41_Pro.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 23
  • WP_20211105_17_38_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20211105_17_38_57_Pro.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 23
No I’m waiting on the butt plate and nose cap. I may not even use either, but I wanna see what they would like like. Having no cheek piece and a shotgun like stock configuration I’m wondering what all I should do and shouldn’t do … I do t want to put too much time in and it look “ odd” if that makes sense?

Back