• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So how many different wild meats have you killed, cooked and eaten?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I've had my share. Some of the odd stuff was as a kid or young hunter...
Deer
Bobcat
Mountain lion
Black bear
Porcupine
Rabbit
Raccoon
Muskrat
Beaver
Woodchuck
Snapping turtle
Ducks and geese
Grouse
Dove
Wild turkey
Snake
Yak
Bison
Wild boar
Feral pig
Robin and other songbirds
Frog
Clams
Crawfish
Squirrel
Feral goat
Crow
Woodchuck
Coyote
Snakes

How does groundhog/woodchuck taste? They say the gravy is good.
Squirrel brains?
Actually, young groundhog is fine table fare, you want to get the small ones right as they come out of there burrows in early summer. The older ones are too greasy for me. My best friend says to shake and bake those and bake on a rack, so the grease renders out.

Squirrel brains?

There was a story a few years back of a guy who’d died from eating squirrel brains if I remember correctly. Contracted one of the prion TSE type diseases I think.
Yup.
Over the years I've heard of a lot of people who really enjoy them. But, there does seem to be an increase in these types of diseases. Personally I would avoid any meal that involves brains matter or spinal cord,,, there is just too much weird stuff out there, not worth the risk.

We're supposed to. It's biblical.
Not to start trouble or anything 🙄😇

In the 80s, my parents lived in a log cabin in the hills of Kentucky on about 170 acres. If I recall correctly, they were about 2 miles off the nearest road. No running water or electricity. Dad worked night shift at a hospital lab and mom was raising us kids. They were working towards being semi-self-sufficient. One of the old locals that was thier neighbors was named Mr. Krit. He could not read or write. Apparently he knew so much about the local plants and trees . He was one of the few people some of the large orchards in Casey county would let touch their trees. He was also the local Waterwitch. Anyways, Mr. Krit had a habit of hunting your round. At one point in conversation with my father about it, he referenced being down the mountain on a Sunday. He said the preacher read from the good book “Slay and eat” so that was what he did!

Actually, young groundhog is fine table fare, you want to get the small ones right as they come out of there burrows in early summer. The older ones are too greasy for me. My best friend says to shake and bake those and bake on a rack, so the grease renders out.
This!! They are tasty but you want young ones! We have eat a few of the farm here in central KY.

Deer ( blacktail, mule, and whitetail)
Elk
Caribou
Wild pig
Various waterfowl
Dove
Quail
Wild turkey
These are all I know of but I have family and friends who will sneak stuff in to a crock pot and not tell anyone. I'm not as well versed as some people here but I'm always willing to try a new food

Taken with an ML:
cottontail, jackrabbit, squirrel (red/grey/black), muskrat, beaver, raccoon, bobcat, coyote (yes, it was on a dare), prairie dog, packrat, ground hog, sage grouse, ruffed grouse, pheasant, quail (bobwhite/Mearns), dove, pretty much all the duck and geese options, snapping turtle, rattlesnake (if slapping it with a ramrod to "reduce to possession" counts). Mule deer, whitetail deer, antelope, bison, moose (a couple varieties), caribou, black bear, feral hogs, javelina, feral goat, some weird tundra marmot that I never heard an English name for.

Once on a living rough trip up north the only reliable meat at one camp was the local rock pigeon. A good meaty bird, white as chicken and hard as a brick. Dry dense and tasteless. We shifted camp.
It's all about the sauce...never forget to pack the sauces! LOL

fish: trout, bass, pickerel, perch, cat, red snapper, halibut, cod, pollock

animals: Rabbit, snake, deer, porcupine*, duck

*the female porcupine is pretty good, the males taste disgusting

I just saw this:
Raccoon
Rattlesnake
Starlings
Bluejays
Pigeon
Quail
Dove
Owl
Turkey
Goose
Ducks
Rabbit
Squirrel
Feral hog
Goat
Deer

Catfish
Red drum
Freshwater drum
Crappie
Perch
Sand bass
Striped bass
Largemouth bass
saltwater trout
freshwater trout
Saltwater shrimp
Crawdads

I know there's more I'll think of after I my morning coffee.

Mama Crawdad and Baby were out sightseeing, and Baby got scared. What's that, Mama? That's just a cow. He won't eat you. A little farther along, Baby asked again, and Mama said that just a dog, and he won't eat you, either. Farther on, Baby asks what's that tall skinny thing? Mama said, run, Baby, that's a Coonass, and they'll eat ANYTHING! 🦐🦞🦀🐌🐢🐊🦆🐟🐠

For me, remember I'm Australian, it would go some thing like this:

Various fowl, including water and ground feeders.
Rabbits.
Goat.
pig.
Donkey.
horse.
emu.
Kangaroo.
Camel. Yes Camel.

You may notice that some of the above are feral animals that are wild in the bush, and so are fair game.
I do regret the horse because I like horses.
Camels run wild all across the outback desert regions of the whole continent, and, believe it or not they are very good eating.
There are 10s of thousands of wild donkeys roaming across the country, and their meat is lean and a bit stringy. Best to stew it. Same with roo and emu, but the rest are good any way you like it.

Quail
Pidgeon
Dove
Woodcock
Duck
Goose
Partridge
turkey (wild)
pheasant
squirrel
rabbit
rattle snake