• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So how many different wild meats have you killed, cooked and eaten?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coot is not bad if you breast it out, dredge in flour, and lightly fry it. Tastes as good as most ducks when done that way.
Our family rule was also if you kill it, you eat it. That's how we wound up with armadillo on the plate.
That was our family rule also!! I liked armadillo meat!! I think we slow cooked it with potatoes, carrots and onions!

When I was in my mid teens a friend and I were snorkeling along a jetty in a Northeastern state and started seeing lobsters which got me thinking…
I bought a piece of decorative netting, some kite string and with a couple wire coat hangers and some sticks I fashioned a couple small nets. It was a simple matter to put the net behind a lobster and poke the front of the lobster with a stick so it scooted into the net.
I’m only writing that because I’m 58 now and pretty sure the statute of limitations has expired….
Add lobsters to my list.

Wapiti ( Elk ) ,Red deer, Fallow deer, Sika deer, White tail deer
European Chamois ,Himalayan Thar
Feral cattle, Feral sheep, Feral Pig , Feral Goats
Rabbit , European Hare
Opossum, Wallaby ( both from Australia )
Mallard duck, Grey Duck, Spoon bill duck, Paradise shell duck
Canada goose,. Black swan
Pheasant ,Californian quail ,Australian brown Quail , Feral Turkey
Brown Trout , Rainbow trout , Chinook ( Quinnat) salmon , Brook Trout (Char )
Marine fish from Marlin to herrings and a lot in between , also Spiny lobsters ,Shell fish such as Abalone , mussels, clams , scallops etc etc
The most toothsome: deer species would be whitetail , Feral is wild pig , Waterfowl is Spoonbill ( shoveler ) , Upland birds is Pheasant , Fresh water fish is Rainbow trout with Salmon being at the top of the list but is both marine and fresh water , the best eating Marine fish are Mahi Mahi and Turbot , lobster and scallops .

When I was 10 I got my first air rifle , I was told not to shoot the cat , dogs , hens ,sheep, cows and horses or birds of any sort . I should only shoot living creatures it I was going to eat them , Dad caught me shooting a sparrow , I had to pluck and gut it then cook it in a baked been tin then eat it , I can still get a taste in the back of my throat on occasion ,🥴

Ones thay I’ve killed,
Kangaroo
Wallaroo
Wallaby, all three are different tasting, and best if left hung for a few days.
Goat
Hare
Rabbit
Black snake, quite liked it, after having refused to eat snake for years.
Goose
Duck, various.
Quail
Water hen, boil with river stones or road base, when the stones are soft the meat is done.
and in Ireland,
Pheasant
Wood cock
Wood pigeons, tasty to YUCK depending on what they’ve been living on.
Sea gull, out of curiosity, after the gun club went culling on the islands in Loch Corrib ( the gulls move inland displacing native small birds from their breeding places).

Ones that others shot.
Deer, cooked various ways but I like it corned best.
Wild pig, but under protest as I just don't like pig meat
Cocatoo (put on the menu as ‘Mountain Quail’ and enjoyed by all).

Last edited:
From freq. loosely
Whitetail venison
moose
muledeer
pronghorn antelope
black bear
bison
Wild frog legs
Snapping turtle
crayfish
freshwater clams...they and crayfish...eh. muddy at best.
wild duck,
Goose
wild turkey
squirrel
snowshoe hare
rabbit,
Porcupine
Woodchuck
Kudu
impala
ostrich
springbuck
warthog
Termites (tastes like peanut butter...really!)
off course, most Eastern US freshwater fish
Snapping turtle was much better than anticipated. Just great in a stew. Ostrich is outstanding, and I am sorry I dont do more rabbit hunting, as we love it.
Where ever i go I am very eager to try the local "off the menu" food. I was very disappointed I missed the chance for seal flippers on my last newfoundland trip. My guide told me he would have happily brought some.
Kudu is the best meat that I have ever had. Donkey testicles on noodles was the worst

Kudu is the best meat that I have ever had. Donkey testicles on noodles was the worst
I could live on Kudu Biltong....I need to try to make it here, but the weather isnt conducive. Somehow your donkey dish....well, lets just say I could pass......

Deer
Moose (yes please)
Black Bear
Elk
Caribou (as a Hot Dog in Alaska)

Wood Duck (yes please)
Other Ducks
Geese
Woodcock (frying with butter is the only way)
Pheasant
Grouse (or Partridge, as we call them)

In my youth:

Rabbit
Squirrel
Raccoon (not advised)
Beaver (goaded into it and it wasn't bad)

Pronghorn Sheep
Squirrel
Rabbit
Young Groundhog
Dove
Pidgeon
quail
Grouse
Woodcock
Pheasant
Duck -several varieties
Canada Goose
Cottonmouth Snake
Wild Boar
Deer
Moose

Not all of the above was I the fellow who took the animal, but I was part of the group that did...

LD

Wrote
Water hen, boil with river stones or road base, when the stones are soft the meat is done.
and in Ireland,
We have a similar swamp hen here in New Zealand called Pukeko , There are similar stories about cooking them , I have found simmering the legs and breasts for a couple of hours with onions , makes a lovely soup stock , just don't try to eat the meat .

Latest posts

Back