• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

So how many different wild meats have you killed, cooked and eaten?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moose
Elk
Black bear
MD/WT Deer
Rabbit/Hares
Squirrel
Geese/Ducks (many types)
Pigeon
Dove
Fish, fresh & salt-West Coast
Shell fish
Pheasant/Grouse/Ptarmigan
Walk

Edited; missed the part of my having to kill it. Was only thinking wild and eating. Lol.

Pretty much this list, also, dog,bobcat,Fox, jack rabbit, gopher, beaver, nutria, gator, rattle and black snake, iguana, kangaroo
Crow made good soup, Fox was nasty, jack rabbit was tough as nails and was like chewing on sage bush. Got monkey meat in the Philippines in the navy but it tasted like pork, and I always believed I was given something under false pretense
I've shot plenty of foxes, dogs, and cats, but never tried eating any of them.
Once on a living rough trip up north the only reliable meat at one camp was the local rock pigeon. A good meaty bird, white as chicken and hard as a brick. Dry dense and tasteless. We shifted camp.

A rule with our family was that you didn't kill something that you were not going to eat.
I gave my grandson a pellet pistol for his 16th birthday. My daughter called all upset.
She said he and his buddies went to the park and shot a duck.
I asked what did they do with the duck. She said they cleaned it in my kitchen leaving all the non meat part sin my trash. You ever come home from work and see a ducks head staring at you from the garbage?
So what did he do with the meat? They cooked it on the BBQ and ate it.
I said "Good Boy"

In jungle school we dug a hole, threw in all our C-ration cans for a few days, put punji stakes in the bottom of the pit, and in the middle of the night a wild bore fell into the pit and we stabbed it to death with out bayonets mounted on our M-16s. We cooked it and ate it over the next 4 days.

Dont know where they boy gets his ideas from......

Pretty much this list, also, dog,bobcat,Fox, jack rabbit, gopher, beaver, nutria, gator, rattle and black snake, iguana, kangaroo
Crow made good soup, Fox was nasty, jack rabbit was tough as nails and was like chewing on sage bush. Got monkey meat in the Philippines in the navy but it tasted like pork, and I always believed I was given something under false pretense
Bobcat is delicious!!!!

Judged good- Deer, elk, pig, cougar (white meat very tasty), bear, antelope, turkey, pheasant, quail, dove, grouse (blue, ruffed, spruce & sage) ducks, geese, beaver, nutria, muskrat, rabbit, squirrel, frogs, crawdads.
Judged so so - coon ( too fatty )
Judged bad coot or mudhen
Killed but never ate possum, skunk, gophers and moles.
Merry Christmas to you all

Is that like the real one or a lamb. Waltzing Matilda " Up jumped a springbuck" meaning lamb or sheep.
Hah! Real springbuck in SA last April. I had tenderloin and a couple types of sausage. Most all the antelope start tasting the same though. They certainly do eat a lot of lamb in SA which is okay by me. I love it, but seldom get any.

A few lobster pots and our 1959 Chris Craft provided many lobsters from Long Island sound

Attachments

• 20221210_092346.jpg
    20221210_092346.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
That I have killed cooked and eaten;

*Whitetail deer
*Mule deer
Elk (including elk Rocky Mountain oysters)
* Sharptail grouse
* Ruffed grouse
Blue grouse
Sage grouse
Chukar
Pheasant
* Quail
* Dove
Various species of duck
Porcupine
* Cottontail rabbit
Wild turkey (the bottled kind too)
Bullfrog
Squirrels

I think that covers it. Asterisk items include killed with a muzzleloader.

Deer
Bear
Hog
Armadillo
Squirrel
Rabbit
Snowshoe hare
Grouse
Turkey
Duck
Geese
Doves
Pigeons
Robin
Lobster
Crab
Many kinds of fish
Oysters
Clams
Crayfish
Conch
Turtle tasted good but a real bag of guts to deal with
Ground hog
I am sure there are more

So here goes!
Elk
Deer
Turkey
Raccoon
Porcupine
Goose
Duck
Dove
Rabbit
Squirrel
Snapping turtle
Frog
Gray Brocket deer
Coatimundi
Armadillo
Agouti
Spotted Agouti
Several species of South American wild turkeys
Howler monkey
Night monkey
South American grouse
Caiman
Monitor lizard
Boa constrictor
Rattlesnake
Red tail catfish (I did actually shot this one)
Fresh water sting ray
So many kinds of fish….

A couple of these I didn’t actually pull the trigger on but I was part of the hunt. For those animals I was with my brothers.
Aaron

Coot is not bad if you breast it out, dredge in flour, and lightly fry it. Tastes as good as most ducks when done that way.
Our family rule was also if you kill it, you eat it. That's how we wound up with armadillo on the plate.

Wow you have to think.
Deer, rabbit ,grouse, quail, dove, bear, antelope, duck,goose, rattlesnake, gator,squirrel, hog, frog, crayfish or crawdad, elk, hare, turtle
Once in Africa a wild game feast was prepared for us and I’m not sure what all was there. We did not kill these Supposedly everything. Zebra, gator, croc, wart hog, antelopes , wildabeast, I can’t remember.
They made home made beer in a clay pot. Then passed the pot around for everyone to drink from. I passed. Next morning everyone had the squirts. Not so bad with me. Never a good thing to have to be traveling with the runs.
Raccoon was the worst thing I have ever ate. It was in a stew and was just nasty.

I regularly kill and eat in season duck (mostly wood duck, mallard, black duck and pin tail) canada goose, snow goose ruffed grouse, woodcock, squirrel, snowshoe hare, cottontail, beaver, muskrat, whitetail deer and turkey. All fantastic
On occasion diver ducks, frog, porcupine, woodchuck, coon, bobcat and possum. All pretty good
I have at least once killed and eaten fox, crow, coyote, iguana, field mouse, chipmunk, mink and rattlesnake.
Diver ducks are hit and miss (old squaw-good to merganser-tastes like rotten herring)
Fox, crow and coyote I'll pass next time.
I'd like to kill and eat elk and moose but don't have any around here.
Of course the fish, but that's another list.

Didn't see the requirement that the wild game be killed with a muzzle loader so including some that used modern suppository guns. Fishing - bow, rod, spear, atlatls, weirs - catfish, bass, kokanee salmon, assorted trout, snapping turtles, crawdads, pan fish, carp, drum, suckers, gar; bullfrogs; beaver and beaver tails; Ducks, pheasant, bob white quail, dusky or blue grouse, mourning and European collared doves, pigeon; cottontail and jack rabbits, snowshoe hare; Rocky Mountain elk, whitetail and mule deer, pronghorn; black bear; bison; fox, pine and Abert squirrels; bison; rattlesnake; pack rats; raccoon. Didn't kill myself but have eaten dog and mountain lion, musk ox. yak, alligator, bighorn sheep, octopus, shark. Surprising what one will eat if hungry enough.

Back