• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

So here's a dumb question...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooter76

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I recently got my .62 caliber/20ga Fusil and I need to order some ball before I get out to the range. I went on TOW today and realized they have the two (20ga and .62 cal) separated into different categories. 20ga has .600 round ball listed and .62 cal lists .610. I was going to get both and see which one shot best, but the separate categories left me confused. Is there a reason I should go with one over the other or am I ok to order both sizes? And while I'm at it, are there any other ball sizes I should be testing out?

Thanks.

The .610 are probably used more for a .62 caliber rifl tho I have some to try in my soon to arrive Trade Gun also have some .600 and .595s to try.

There is little in this game that is perzactly/exactly specific regarding size, caliber, etc. Whenever a new gun is acquired there is going to be some testing and experimentation to find what works best for you and your firelock. Hate to say it, but you should probably buy a box of each size and test them. Those that don't work can go on your shelf for archaeologists to discover into the pot for when you start casting yer own balls.

All smoothbore barrels are indeed, not equal. I have a .62/20ga but the bore is tight; maybe .610" to .615" (I am advised). I patch .600" ball with .015" - which compresses much thinner - and requires a short starter but seats without undue force using the guns wood rod. I find that WW ball drops at .606" and that's what I use now for bare ball loads. A .610" ball would make a good, snug, load without patching. The .606" ball, I discovered, is virtually impossible to seat when patched with even the thinnest material.

There's a lot of information that has to be known for most answers. As you can read from the answers to many similar questions, it all depends on your specific gun. So a lot information has to be known to start with what will amount to guidelines rather than specifics.

The one specific to be determined is what is the true bore diameter of your gun? The second is do you want to shot with a lubricated patch or using a bare ball with wads. Some guns perform better with one method to the others even from the same builder.

TotW is making recommendations based on a 20 gauge bore being 0.615" in diameter. For that application with a lubricated patch with ball, the ball could measure about one patch thickness less than the bore. In this case that would be 0.600" ball and a 0.017" patch.

A 62 caliber will have a bore of 0.620" and may be rifled. There a good recommendation would be the 0.610 ball and a 0.017" patch for a tight fit.

If you want to shoot the 20 gauge using wads and a bare ball, the 0.610 might work well. You will need the over powder wad, maybe a bit of tow to wrap the ball in the center of the bore and an over shot card to hold the load in place.

With that all said, there are users of 20 gauge fowlers and fusils that have good success with a heavy lubricated patch of 0.022" and a 0.590" ball. Some have even used a smaller ball.

Buy some balls to experiment with both a lubricated patch with ball and wads to hold a bare ball load. Actually tow (flax fiber) can be used for over powder, ball wrap and over ball wadding.

Start this experiment off with the measurement of the bore and get several ball sizes to experiment with.

Your question just isn't an easy one to answer.

Just as Grenadier1758 writes in his post, I use a .590 ball in both of my 20 gauge fusils. This allows me to use a thicker patch that will carry more lube. I started with a .600 ball, but the .010 patch was too thin to hold enough lube. I had the good fortune of finding a pristine .590 Rapine mold. The .015 patch solved my problems. Before I bought the Rapine mold, I even used a .570 ball and a thick denim patch with some success.

I just started shooting a 20 again using a 600 ball and thin bedsheet patch,mine is very accurate,The last two shots at the woodswalk I used two paer cartridges i had with me I made up for my 24 gauge 565 ball with 60 gr 2 f and solidly smacked the 40 yrd clangers! rollin more ,I love paper cartridges

Back