• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

So close to home.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Elk Ridge Mountain, Washington County Maryland
Mr. Hoyt called and I picked up my lined and stretched M1842 smoothbore barrel was done. Took about 2 months. Aged the extension a bit and put her together. Now she's less than 4 miles from where she was made in 1847.
20210706_174952.jpg

New person here - what does "stretched" mean ?
It means the barrel has had a short section added to make up for the muzzle being shortened. The muzzles are thin and easily damaged. My ramrod had been shortened also. That I welded up myself. The barrel was done by Mr. Hoyt in Fairfield PA.

It means the barrel has had a short section added to make up for the muzzle being shortened. The muzzles are thin and easily damaged. My ramrod had been shortened also. That I welded up myself. The barrel was done by Mr. Hoyt in Fairfield PA.
Mr Wentworth,
That is a handsome weapon, just beautiful. My question is about its finish and condition. Im pretty sure that is an original, correct? If original, how does it look so danged good? Did you refinish it yourself?
Now to the real sticker, how did you resolve the " you will destroy any value it has by refinishing it!"
Regards
John

Thank you Sir. I picked it up at a show, the bobbed barrel dropped the price to where I couldn't pass it up due to the superb condition. The metal has been cleaned at some time in the distant past but the wood appears to be original finish. As to hurting it value since it was bobbed it didn't matter so it was a perfect candidate to stretch.

New person here - what does "stretched" mean ?
These "olde" original military muskets where sold off by the government in the early 1900's as surplus arms on the open market.
It was common at the time to just cut a few inches off the worn muzzle, and sold as "reconditioned".
(think Sears mail order catalog, for $5)
Many times they'd be cut back crudely, way back to the middle band, stock included, and sold as a "Sport Musket".
"Stretched" means that member Whitworth has found one and brought it back to original length.

This is a beautiful representation, in remarkable condition.
Well done Mr. Whitworth, is there a "conversion" date stamp on the bottom flat?

These "olde" original military muskets where sold off by the government in the early 1900's as surplus arms on the open market.
It was common at the time to just cut a few inches off the worn muzzle, and sold as "reconditioned".
(think Sears mail order catalog, for $5)
Many times they'd be cut back crudely, way back to the middle band, stock included, and sold as a "Sport Musket".
"Stretched" means that member Whitworth has found one and brought it back to original length.

This is a beautiful representation, in remarkable condition.
Well done Mr. Whitworth, is there a "conversion" date stamp on the bottom flat?
Thank you Sir. I didn't notice a date when I had it apart. When I take it apart after shooting to clean I will check.

Back