• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snowman Shoot, ends January 31st 2013

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm picturing a target in my mailbox with only an unscathed snowman left and no paper around it anywhere. :rotf:

Today was the day for the Snowman shoot in North Central WV. We had snow on the ground, no wind, sunshine and some time to shoot. I asked around and found a volunteer snowman to hold my snow man target. I told him everything would be fine and all he had to do was stand still and after three shots he could go back and play with the other snowmen. :haha:
Snowmanshoot002.jpg

I fired the first shot and as you can see things did not go well. :rotf:

Snowmanshoot003.jpg

The other snowmen that were watching ran off and hid in the snow. I couldn't find any more volunteers for the rest of the shoot. May this one rest in peace.

Snowmanshoot004.jpg

I had to resort to my regular target holder to finish the shoot. Jethro pretty well described my target that I am sending out in the mail Monday. Good luck to everyone else, because that top ring is hard to hit.

:rotf: Now that's funny!

Good luck to everyone else, because that top ring is hard to hit.

Well, you coulda just flipped it over and shot for the bottom ring again... :idunno: :haha:

Go ahead-laugh all you want.I finally got it and will send that swiss cheese looking target up to you to score :blah:

"Well, you coulda just flipped it over and shot for the bottom ring again.."

Now you tell me, stand the snowman on his head? All the frost would have run out. :haha: Too late now, I will just torment you now in trying to score my target, Good Luck to you!

Well, I shot the "snowman" target today. Not being creative, I mounted it on a corrugated cardboard backer (although there was easily enough snow around to make a snowman) and blazed away, if that's the right term. I inverted it so that the large, blue ring was on top and the miserably small green one was on the bottom thinking the larger target would be easier to start with. Was I ever wrong! The middle one got more hits, some even in the white, while I tried to hit the blue and green circles. The latter, btw, faded almost to invisibility due to snow glare and the low sun. (Unfortunately, we shoot to the southeast.) I'll mail the mutilated snowman to you shortly.

As an aside, I used a slightly modified version of Stumpy's "Moose Snot" as a patch lube and had no trouble loading without cleaning after 20 shots. When I ran out of those lube patches, I used some I prepared this AM using the highly touted 103 Lube: Suffice it to say, it can't hold a candle to Stumpy's.

Still hoping the temp. will get up to above freezing. So far this mo. it's been from about 20 below to a high of about 7 degrees+ a lot of snow. Too cold for these old bones but maybe it'll warm up, still got 2 weeks. Deadeye

I finally got mine shot yesterday, temp about 14, wind chill about 3, my fingers were registering about 40 below. I was shooting low, finally figured it out and made a good hit with my last shot. I'd be willing to do this again in about July! Deadeye

Back