• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snowman Shoot, ends January 31st 2013

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Blame this one on Pacobillie, the punkin' shoot wasn't hard enough for him so he came up with this. :haha:

The target consists of three different sized circles. Inside each of the three circles is another ring, @ one inch smaller in diameter. So, it looks like a snowman or more like three donuts on top of one another. If you PT me with your e-mail address, I will send you a printable target. If you don't have a printer give me your mailing address and I'll send you one already printed.

The target is shot at 50 yards. The shooter has to put one shot completely inside of each circle. The large circle counts for 50 points, the medium circle counts for 75 points, and the small one for 100 points. A shot outside a circle is a 10 point deduction. A shot that cuts the line is a 5 point deduction, a shot partially inside the inner ring is a 10 point bonus, and a shot completely inside the inner circle is a 20 point bonus.

As an added bonus you get the caliber of your rifle added to your score. Larger balls will be harder to keep inside the circles but have the potential for a higher bonus score. Any gamblers?

The target is to be printed on a standard 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of typing/printer paper.

Shoot at each circle until you get a ball completely inside the circle.

No do-overs.

Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzleloading rifles (NO Cannons). Percussion or flintlock ignition. (you can use a smoothbore or pistol if you would like)

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots will be taken off-hand at 50 yards.(Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso)(In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle)

One entry per member.

Mutilated targets will be disqualified.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scans, etc.

Ties will be settled by whose shot is closest to center. Each shot will be measured from the center of the hole to the center of the target.

The center of the target will be determined by the judge.

Judges decisions are final.

Each contestant's score will be posted at the end of the contest.

Your member screen name and caliber of your gun must be written on your targets.

The contest runs thru January 31, 2013.

Mail your target postmarked by Feb. 1, 2013 to;

Jim Green
P.O.Box 322
Pekin, IL 61555

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Be safe and have fun! :hatsoff:

Here is what the target looks like.

Snowmantarget.jpg
[/img]

Maven said:
Just to clarify the rules, we aren't limited to 3 shots, correct (unless we get 1 ball inside ea. of the 3 circles)? Hmm, I better lay in a supply of RB's for this match!

Indeed, you are not limited to 3 shots. However, you want to take as few shots as possible, because all the shots that are not completely inside the outer line of each of the three donuts, count as penalties. Conversely, if you hit the donut hole,in whole or in part, you get a bonus added to your score. So as soon as you have a shot completely inside the outer line of a donut, you are done with that donut, and you shoot the next one. You are done shooting once you have but a shot inside the outer line of all three donuts.

Pacobillie said:
Maven said:
Just to clarify the rules, we aren't limited to 3 shots, correct (unless we get 1 ball inside ea. of the 3 circles)? Hmm, I better lay in a supply of RB's for this match!

Indeed, you are not limited to 3 shots. However, you want to take as few shots as possible, because all the shots that are not completely inside the outer line of each of the three donuts, count as penalties. Conversely, if you hit the donut hole,in whole or in part, you get a bonus added to your score. So as soon as you have a shot completely inside the outer line of a donut, you are done with that donut, and you shoot the next one. You are done shooting once you have but a shot inside the outer line of all three donuts.

And to clarify further;

2 holes inside one donut does NOT score double! The second hole counts as a miss on one of the other donuts!

That is one tough offhand target, especially given that all three are on the same page.
Whoa, Nellie.
Email me the data. PM sent in a mo'.
Pete

The three donuts are respectively 9, 7 and 5 cm in diameter. Equivalent to about 3.6, 2.8 and 2 inches, respectively.

In the Pumpkin shoot, the target was 3 inches across, and had to be shot at 75 yards. Yet Deadeye scored 5 points short of the maximum score.
That is the same level of difficulty as 2 inches at 50 yards. If we all could get perfect scores, it would not be a competition.

Remember that although you can get bonus points by hitting the donut hole, you do not have to.

That being said, if someone hits all three donut holes with only three shots, I will truly be impressed.

Jethro, please email me one of those targets. I'll give it a try. That is pretty tough offhand shooting for me. I know I can at least hit the sheet of paper at 50 yards offhand. :rotf:

Dave

newtewsmoke said:
Pacobillie said:
Remember that although you can get bonus points by hitting the donut hole, you do not have to.
the rules above twice say that a shot inside the circle is required.

One shot has to be inside of the outside ring (the donut) of each circle. The inside ring (the donut hole) is worth bonus points. :thumbsup:

I've got to send out several more targets tonight. If everybody who is asking for a target shoots this will be a pretty good match. :thumbsup:

Jethro224 said:
newtewsmoke said:
Pacobillie said:
the rules above twice say that a shot inside the circle is required.

One shot has to be inside of the outside ring (the donut) of each circle. The inside ring (the donut hole) is worth bonus points. :thumbsup:
I'm w/ ya now!! :thumbsup:

In the Pumpkin shoot, the target was 3 inches across, and had to be shot at 75 yards. Yet Deadeye scored 5 points short of the maximum score.
That is the same level of difficulty as 2 inches at 50 yards. If we all could get perfect scores, it would not be a competition.
I appreciate that. I am in for the match.
A big difference between the pumpkin match and this one is that the pumpkin match did not have the targets stacked one upon another on the same page.
Maybe it doesn't make a big difference. I will surely find out.
Deadeye is a remarkable shooter. For the rest of us mere mortals....

I'm in... :thumbsup: Have to hurry tho.. might not have anything to shoot it with :haha:

Latest posts

Back