• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snapping matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pleased you like it Thomas.
These short snap-locks are of great interest to me! ... have a few more I'd like to do, And, One Has to be inlaid with small mushrooms of bone or antler! In Swedish, these snap-locks were called "Svamples -lit" ....Mushroom lock! so it Has to be done!
BTW, was having trouble with old 'name and password not working, so just re-registered, lol.

All best,
Richard.

Hey Richard glad you got up and running again. Maybe a mod can credit you with your actual post count instead being a newby poster.

Pukka Richard— I am strongly interested in commissioning you to build one of these for me if you can do so this winter, since at 72 I might be too old to see it or shoot it when it is finished. Surely a private message is available here, but I have yet to figure out how. BTW, when it comes to screen names, “hockeye” is not a misspelling, but the cool story will have to wait. Thank you for doing such a fine job recreating this piece from a nearly forgotten period of history. Stephen Davis

Richard 50 years is too far back. I would be a wee lad of just 11 years and would be forced to make all the same stupid mistakes over again and pay the same high price for making them. So 30 years is far enough back for me.

Steven Davis I thought you could click on a users name and go to their profile and send a PM but I don't see that option on here.

Well I figure I did reply to one M lock forum in some depth but I never can figure these E things out .Pukkas got great skill . Ive made a few similar in the 'Mary Rose' venetian style . Which lends itself to modern tastes as it has the in effect' pistol grip' , peep sights, trigger where a modern person expects to find one. And goes to the shoulder so ideal for MLAIC type events .The Japonees ones are but a broken trimmed off Venietion flicked off to the Japonees at Tanagashima by some crafty Portugues sailor .. .They then shut the door for a few hundred years but copied the basic styles with local expedients . .And Good shooting can be had . .The beuety of matchlocks is they are so diverse no one can say" Its wrong" there all different and much experiement went on . AND you dont need to buy flints ! .
Regards Rudyard

Nice to see you finding your way around, Rudyard. :)

Gents,
Rudyard is my old mate from NZ.

He's from Yorkshire originally, (like me!) but has been down there a good long time now.
He's made piles of archaic locks and guns, Matchlock, snaphaunce and flintlocks. Used what he had and that goes for barrels as well.
He was also a serious world traveler, and spent a lot of time in Africa and India. V interesting bloke is our Rudyard. (He also like his namesakes poetry and is good at reciting it! :)

Welcome again, old mate.

Back