• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Snapped sear spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaWiVi

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 70's Euro Arms Kentuckian rifle in nice condition but just snapped the sear spring. Being one of the early italian imports, the lock isn't the greatest but it's adequate so I would like to find a way to get a new spring. I'm not ready to delve into learning to make a spring at this time but I am interested in tapping the resources of the community. I have attached a few pics. And thanks for the welcome since I'm a newby.

Attachments

• 20221228_110326.jpg
    20221228_110326.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221229_111721.jpg
    20221229_111721.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221229_111738.jpg
    20221229_111738.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the suggestion, they are excellent resources but unfortunately they don't have anything I could use at the moment.

I have had good luck making sear springs by cold working the steel straps used on pallets. You can shape it with a sharp file and bend it around a nail using channel locks. It will take you a few tries to get it right but the strps don't cost much (usually free).

Good news, I recently ordered a spring that looked like I could make it work from TOTW. With some minor alterations to the lock plate and the spring itself I got it to work. Maybe something better will come along for a spring in the future.
Thanks for all the suggestions and happy shooting....

I have had good luck making sear springs by cold working the steel straps used on pallets. You can shape it with a sharp file and bend it around a nail using channel locks. It will take you a few tries to get it right but the strps don't cost much (usually free).
I have 2 rifles which I purchased second hand , both have had the sear springs lightened , one by grinding the tip down and one by grinding the spring in half , and I want to make new springs . Do the springs made from pallet strap need heat treating after shaping ?

No the springs do not need heat treating. They are already "half hard" and hold up well . I have some that I made over thirty years ago that still work fine. It is a learning experience to form them , but the straps are free so a little waste doesn't cost you any more than your time.

Back