• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Snaphaunce Musket Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erzulis boat

45 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_0326.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG

Here are some photos of the Snaphaunce Musket that I built from a TRS set of castings years ago. I posted the fresh build on this forum back then, but at that time it was an unfired arm.

I have since shot it, and it definitely does work! Very smooth trigger pull, with a positive but virtually silent cock fall. Sparking capacity is no less than any of my other reliable Flintlocks.

It no longer is "armory bright" and has an honest patina. No artificial aging here.

I will post some more pics of the entire thing soon.

IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0337.JPG

I used Claro walnut, it's very easy to work, and has great figure. Making the lock was extremely fun, and getting the springs to become springs wasn't bad at all. I did mess up the safety catch spring, but made another in short order.

Due to metallurgical constraints of the time, everything was "oversized" by todays standards. The mainspring is a beast, but due to the mass of everything else, it does the job without any undue force.

If I am smart, I will order some more lock castings of various arms from TRS, and wait patiently.

ETA- I built this arm in 2011.......................time flies!

Last edited:
IMG_0342.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0338.JPG
IMG_0343.JPG

In the last picture, you can see the anchor point for the frizzen pivot. I did "cheat" a little, and installed a hidden bushing that positively stops the screw from over tightening, or loosening. This made the frizzen action very nice and predictable. It took some work to get it to kick over perfectly, but this was just a matter of getting the 2 lobes to work in conjunction with the frizzen spring.

Last edited:
IMG_0344.JPG
IMG_0345.JPG

I tried my best to not over do things by excessive polishing and the like.

As you can see, it's really easy on flints. Getting the frizzen angle and hardness wasn't too hard. I heat treated nice and deep, this isn't a case hardened frizzen. A testament to how good this design was in antiquity.

Last edited:
Thank you for the additional photos; I've never seen a snaphaunce lock up-close, so this is a real treat for me. You've done some marvelous work, the entire musket is beautiful, and fascinating as well.
Will you explain how the trigger is "hung", please?

Last edited:
Thank you for the additional photos; I've never seen a snaphaunce lock up-close, so this is a real treat for me. You've done some marvelous work, the entire musket is beautiful, and fascinating as well.
Will you explain how the trigger is "hung", please?

Thanks. There is a vertical bar that pivots very high in the stock (this is the trigger). You can see the end of the pin above the rear of the lock. The sear runs sideways, and has a hardened protrusion that goes into the side of the cock. It was a little unsettling at first, as it really depends on that protrusion to do it's job. It is not as forgiving as the more "modern" sear/tumbler setup that proceeded it.

Excellent photos Erzulis boat and a great build also!

I found a photo in my files of the trigger installation. The photo is from a wheelock build, but the snaphaunce lock uses the same trigger setup as the wheelock -
46.jpg
To Baxters question the space in the stock behind the trigger pivot is where the horizontal sear is located and the back of the trigger pushes directly against the horizontal sear when the trigger is pulled. In the first photo that Erzulis posted you can see his trigger pivot pin above the rear section of his lock.
Mike

Last edited:
That is a great looking early English Fishtail musket. Outstanding job of building also. Congrats.
I just happen to have the same TRS Snaphaunce lock (only) in finished form. Has not been mounted to a gun yet. It has an interesting safety feature on the tail of the lock plate. That horizontal sear/trigger arrangement is also used in miquelet locks.
Again, wonderful looking Snaphaunce musket.
Rick

I built one for my Mom a number of years ago, the lock was built when I got it and I did a fair bit of work on it to stop crushing rocks.
Currently Im working on another snaphaunce.

Attachments

• 087 (2).JPG
    087 (2).JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_20181005_215006339_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20181005_215006339_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 273
Buddy of mine built the same lock, he loves his, It really is a smooth action

Looks good to me I might have gone for the period roughness tool marks visible ect but that's just my tastes , its fine and a credit to its maker. Regards Rudyard

Again, great job of building. For those interested, here are some pics of the same lock. This one was completed by TRS but not polished out yet. Shows the details of the internals with the horizontal sear.

Rck
001 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG
003 (Medium).JPG
004 (Medium).JPG

One of the cool things about a snaphaunce is that you can see the remaining influence of the wheellock on the mechanism. It still has the horizontal "seesaw" double sear and the sliding pan cover.

Elegant job on this one, Ricky.

Latest posts

Back