Quantcast

Snakes?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Griz44Mag

62 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC - timber rattlers are now Federally protected. Here in Texas there is always a game warden in the county on duty - day or night - every day of the year. They will respond and if you are unwilling to relocate the animal yourself they will come and get it and relocate it for you. It does not need to be a venomous species either. They will do the same for any critter, racoon, possum, ring tail or others.
The killing of the snakes is unwarranted, even if you find one in your immediate vicinity. They are a natural defense against rodents and other vermin that are much more destructive and dangerous than a snake. A venomous snake in the immediate vicinity of your house, kids, dogs or similar are of course not a good thing. However - they are really easy to relocate or get relocated -
We call ourselves naturalists and want to protect our living and hunting environments, that means living with nature - even the ones without legs....

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Most every time some one dies in the woods it’s stupidly that kills them.
Ok this is coming from a guy that treks alone. One little accident could be bad for me. So if’n I meet my maker whilst in the woods it will be my fault.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
In A Man for All Seasons Moore muses that death sits in our room deciding if today would be the day he would take us or not.
He is going to get us some day, I don’t want to give up living to stay alive.
Still one has to:
Take reasonable chances,
Be careful when you doing the dangerous

Griz44Mag

62 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, Tenngunn, but you could just keel over with a heart attack there too. In many ways that would be better than being in the memory unit in a nursing home and slowly fade away.
You sir - are an man after my own thoughts.
I wish to reach the end of my journey at the bottom of the hill of life in a colossal fireball surrounded with the wreckage and glory of a great life.
If I have to do it all on my own, so be it. And if any of my kids or grandkids try and take me to one of those places I'll take them with me.

troy2000

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I follow my dad's rule of thumb, when it comes to rattlesnakes: if they're in my back yard, I'll kill them to protect the kids and dogs. If I'm in their back yard, I let them be.

It's been my experience that most rattlesnakes aren't very aggressive; they just want to be left alone. But Mojave green rattlers? They're belligerent as hell. They'll come straight at you, instead of holding in place or moving away. And to make it worse, they tend to run in pairs.

There's a website called Rattlesnake Solutions, and an article there spends a lot of bandwidth 'debunking' the notion that Mojave greens are aggressive; and claiming that they won't 'throw the first punch.' All I can say is that if the idiot who wrote it had spent time on my 20 acres between Kingman AZ and the Colorado River, where my parents lived for years, he might not be so sure of that.

It reminded me of a guide book I bought years ago for the Pacific Crest Trail, in which the author smugly informed his readers that snakes in the desert are a complete non-issue, because he had hiked the hills above the Coachella Valley many times without ever seeing one.

:doh:

Last edited:

Lastmohecken

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I grew up with an infestation of copperheads and as a kid, I wondered every year if I would get bitten and had a lot of close calls. The last thirty years I have seen hardly any. And I like it that way. I think maybe the hawks and roadrunners have thinned them out.

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
For all you scared little men that like to kill everything you can, just know this. There is a thing called "natural selection." Turns out, there are rattlesnakes that don't rattle. What's happening is evolution: the rattlesnakes that rattle get shot and don't live to reproduce. The rattlesnakes that don't rattle don't get shot and live to reproduce.

Eventually rattlesnakes will no longer warn the hapless walker and just flat-out bite them. Sound like a good future?

So yeah, keep killing everything that scares you.....your grandchildren will not thank you.

I killed a copperhead once and I regret it. Killed it for a customer that wanted it dead (I was exterminator then). It was fun throwing the body onto the desk of the secretary. I wouldn't kill it now but do what my dad does.

A copperhead once went up the side of my brick house. Dad knocked it off the wall with a stick, grabbed it, and held it in his lap while mom drive him up the holler so dad could throw it out the window into some bushes. If you don't have to kill it, don't.

Billy Boy

40 Cal
Reaction score
Eliminate the snakes and the rodent population goes up, causing problems with spoiled feed, disease and property/livestock damage - all of which affect income. Yellowstone saw a similar problem with elk/deer when the wolves were eliminated - this resulted in over-grazing along the banks of the river, which resulted in erosion, which affected the water and eventually the fish populations and fishing. Now that the wolves are back, the ecosystem is slowly repairing itself.

It is a proven fact that taking predators out of the food-web messes with the entire system and actually results in more long-term problems. That said, accidentally running over a rattlesnake isn't a capital crime against nature...
Those wolves in Jellystone are just on loan from us in N Minnesota. But, you can keep them for about another 100 years and we will waive the rental fee...

Latest posts