Snakes?

Discussion in 'Trekking' started by rshveyda, Mar 28, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jun 5, 2019 #101

Jeff Kaufmann

Jeff Kaufmann

Jeff Kaufmann

36 Cl. MLF Supporter

A few years back my wife had to shoot a rattler out at her folks farm. We have a pair of chihuahuas that are about the most protective animals I have yet to meet. Anyways there are some very large stands of blackberry bushes that occasionally the snakes like to hide in and chase mice I imagine. The wife was out with the dogs and the kids when they came upon the rattler, of course he started to warn them off, and of course the little chihuahuas got all defensive of the wife and kids. So the wife took the snake out before one of the dogs or kids got bit. Normally I try to let the snakes be, but if the choice is between one of the brain dead pets or the snake I am going to choose the pets.

tenngun likes this.
  2. Jun 5, 2019 #102

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

While stationed in CA, I heard from one biologist that small/immature rattlesnakes can be more dangerous because when they bite, all the venom they have goes into the bite, while large/mature snakes can self regulate how much venom they pass in a bite and depends on the size of whatever is their opponent.

We used to hunt ground squirrels (vermin/pests) on Casey Springs Mountain on Camp Pendleton to keep our shooting in shape. Almost every time we would pass by a half dozen to over a dozen rattlers on the way to where we set up to shoot, but it was so early in the morning they weren't moving well and it was not difficult to walk far enough away from them. Still and all that always scared the crap out of me.

On Okinawa around 0515 one morning as I was on the way to open up the Battalion Armory, my heart leapt into my throat as I came close to stepping on a "Habu," supposedly the 5th most poisonous snake in the world. I TRIED to get well around him, but Habu's can be aggressive and he followed me and then I went to a full run, he chased me for a while and then gave up. Fastest sprint time I probably ever did.

I went swimming in the Ocean to cool off after we got off the Rifle Range in the Northern Part of Okinawa one day. I SHOULD have realized something was wrong when no one else was on the beach, but I was too tired, I suppose. I liked to swim under water and could hold my breath for quite a while in those days. That allowed me to see what was on the bottom as I went up and down after getting another breath every so often. Well, I happened to look sea ward under water and noticed a strange dark undercurrent. When I came up for air, the sky was sunny without a cloud in the sky, so that didn't explain it. As the dark undercurrent got closer, I finally noticed many things wiggling in it. It was a whole freaking WAVE of Sea Snakes!! One type of that snake you could survive IF they got the antitoxin to you in time, but the other kind, there was no known antitoxin and if you got bit, you were almost sure to die.

I surfaced and swear I almost RAN back to shore on top the water, I was so scared. I got well up on the beach before I sat down to get some air in my lungs. It was only then I noticed a temporary sign warning it was "Sea Snake Breeding Season." NO, I never went back into the ocean for the remaining six months of that tour nor on subsequent TAD trips and another tour, I decided I could find a pool aboard base to swim in, if I wished.

Gus

rshveyda likes this.
  3. Jun 5, 2019 #103

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Puts me in mind of the jewel of the Indian Ocean, Diago Garcia. Went swimming in clear water bathtub warm. Lay on the surface and watch a nature show on the bottom. All fun and games till a hammerhead shark about the size of our boat( USS Haddo SSN 604) swam under me. Seems they like to breed there too. Put paid to my snorkeling.