Snakes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
I hate all spiders, especially the Joro spiders that started making huge webs last year. I was sawing dead limbs off my blueberry bushes a few days ago and as I bent down to cut a dead limb off, I stuck my head right into a large web. I immediately started doing the "spider dance" and, forgetting I was holding a very sharp bow saw in my right hand, I proceeded to swipe at the web. Besides getting the web I raked the saw across my left forearm lifting a few nice flaps of skin! Ask me again why I hate spiders!🤬

View attachment 160991

Brokennock

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I hate all spiders, especially the Joro spiders that started making huge webs last year. I was sawing dead limbs off my blueberry bushes a few days ago and as I bent down to cut a dead limb off, I stuck my head right into a large web. I immediately started doing the "spider dance" and, forgetting I was holding a very sharp bow saw in my right hand, I proceeded to swipe at the web. Besides getting the web I raked the saw across my left forearm lifting a few nice flaps of skin! Ask me again why I hate spiders!🤬

View attachment 160991
Yup. That's probably my other big issue with spiders. Walking down a trail to a deer stand in the dark and they have webs across the trail.
The spider dance never took off as a popular dance fad,,,, but most of us have done it many times. Then been creeped out the rest of the morning every time a hair moves on us.

Reaction score
FedEx lady called me 30 minutes ago and said "There's a big snake by your front door!" Went outside and found this guy - about 4' long and very docile. I gently shooed him off the porch with a broom and he promptly crawed into the bushes and then went down a hole going under the driveway that I didn't know was there! Looks he may have just eaten a gopher, so glad to have him around (although
my wife does not appreciate him!)

View attachment 160815 View attachment 160816
This guy doesn't want to stay away - wife came home an hour ago and found him in our garage tangled up in some deer netting so tight he could hardly move!

Took me about 40 minutes to cut the netting off him with a scalpel. He was very docile - must have known I was helping him! Slithered back down his hole to wait for another gopher!
Black Snake3.jpg

Black Snake4.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don't know what happened on my last post,,BUT really GARYPL,, DO we have a Spider problem or a Bow Saw problem..HEAL FAST. .....Be Safe>>>>>Wally
HaHa! Problem is that whenever I run into a spider web I forget what I was doing and start dancing! 😁 Wife says she will have to buy me a duller saw so I quit hurting myself!

JEBMs

32 Cal
Reaction score
A little snake humor.
Back in the early 60’s there were 3 of us boys in our small town that were born in the same month of 1950 and we did everything together. There was an old coon hunter there that would invite us to go on hunts with him and we would jump at the chance. One time we went with him and his brother. All he carried was a belt knife, a small .22 pistol, and an old tired D cell flashlight that worked sometime. Oh yea, a pint of whiskey. That particular night we went to the Rattlesnake Woods by the Mississippi River levee. It was named that, not only because of the fact that it looked like a snake on the map but because of the unusually high number of rattlesnakes living there. I’m sure the pint that was brought along “for snake bites” was not their first of the day. We followed the dogs all over those woods by moonlight telling snake stories all the way. As the men got more lubricated one of them who were always in the lead would jump over a vine and scream SNAKE!!! Scaring the crap out of us and causing them to almost roll on the ground laughing. We were dying of thirst so the old guy said there is an artesian spring around here and proceeded to lead us right to it in the dark without ever pulling that flashlight out of his pocket. The last one to drink (the one of us that was deathly afraid of snakes) was trying to drink it dry when he raised his head, his eyes looked like 2 pee holes in the snow and he was white as a ghost (which we saw when the old man banged on the flashlight a few times and got us a little light.) He said “there’s a snake up my pants leg”. The old guy said “do you know where both ends are?” The boy said he did and was then told to “grab it and wring it out”. He grabbed his pants leg and squeezed and twisted on it for a good while. When he finally figured it was incapacitated the old man told him to hold his pants away from his leg, shake it and step back as he had produced the little pistol from his coat and was making ready to dispatch the venomous creature. As he shook his pants leg a nicely skinned toad frog came dripping out. That story has followed him to this day. Funny though, his daughter had never heard it, that is until she was doing an abdominal ultrasound on me.

Reaction score

View attachment 160991
Glad you weren't holding a chainsaw!

Reaction score
Just a curious note, since the subject of snakes came up, but has anyone seen the picture in Outdoor Life of an Eastern Diamondback killed in Florida in 1919. It's was about 40 yrs. back when it was shown in the magazine. I've tried to find it for a few years but so far haven't come across it. It showed five men standing, holding a massive diamondback about waist high. There was a sign in front of them that said; 1919, West Palm Beach, 11 feet 4 inches.

Brokennock

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Just a curious note, since the subject of snakes came up, but has anyone seen the picture in Outdoor Life of an Eastern Diamondback killed in Florida in 1919. It's was about 40 yrs. back when it was shown in the magazine. I've tried to find it for a few years but so far haven't come across it. It showed five men standing, holding a massive diamondback about waist high. There was a sign in front of them that said; 1919, West Palm Beach, 11 feet 4 inches.
Yes, I recall seeing that picture online at some point.

Reaction score
After it was killed and stretched out. Breaking the hundreds of connections, they could pull it like taffy. Just a bag of bones inside a snakeskin.
The actual accepted record lengths hover right at or around 8'.
No, this thing was as big in diameter as a big man's thigh.

Reaction score
I am not overly afraid of snakes or spiders, though I will certainly be startled if I'm surprised by one. I have an inside, conditioned shop at my camp, for the past 7 years I've had a large Southern Crevice Weaver spider living in the holes were my hot water tank inters the wall. I named her Elvira. During the late spring and summer I catch horse flies and put them in her web and she would come out to get them. This year the horse fly population was way down and she didn't get much extra help. She may be passed now, havn't seen her in several months, but they can live up to 8 years. As for snakes, I luckily see one or two Corn snakes and King snakes around, which I love to see. But I also have Cane Brake rattlers. I don't seek them out, but if one is close to the camp or on a main trail I kill it. Year before last I killed 5, including 3 in the gravel by the main building. When my grandkids come to visit I just can't chance it. I have quite a collection of rattles. And yes, I Hate walking into a cob web on the trail!

Attachments

• IMG_20190808_111423_319-1.jpg
    IMG_20190808_111423_319-1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20170912_141428_124.jpg
    IMG_20170912_141428_124.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200616_192040_067-1.jpg
    IMG_20200616_192040_067-1.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts