Snakes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Reintroduction of rattlesnakes in Arkansas (and probably other states as well) is a popular, totally unsupported myth. My guess is that Arkansas has a plentiful supply of its native rattlesnakes.
So I'm a liar and you are an expert on issues outside your own state... by the way, how do them caterpillars taste with toast and jam? I GUESS I won't be trying any anytime soon.

Reaction score
Introduction of snakes by someone isn’t uncommon. Now, the assertion that a state game department did it secretly is harder to prove. In Kansas a few years ago western diamondbacks showed up in one state park in the middle of the state. They are not native to the area. The speculation is someone thought it would be neat to have them here and released a few. The state did undertake a program to eradicate them and I think it was successful.

Notchy Bob

58 Cal.
Reaction score
My wife found this article online today: Here Are the States Where It's Illegal to Kill Snakes

This is on the Wide Open Spaces website. It's kind of hard to read because the entire website is plastered with ads, but it's worth making the effort. In preparing the article, the author went through the regulations for all fifty states, and he also noted the snakes that are under federal protection. I didn't read the whole thing, but of what I did read, I didn't see anything about reintroductions. That may have been outside the scope of the article, anyway. However, with a nod to brother @Treestalker , all snakes are protected in Arkansas, as he said. The exception there would be snakes that pose a reasonable threat or endangerment to persons or property. I'm assuming "property" would include dogs. So, there is sort of a self-defense clause.

Some of the regulations are surprising, funny, or just weird. It's illegal to kill a coral snake in Alabama, for example. I think moonshine is illegal there, too, but I don't think the law has much effect on that very popular cottage industry in Alabama.

California considers snakes game animals, but lumps reptiles with fish. So, while you can kill a rattlesnake any time in California, you apparently need to have a fishing license to do it. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.

In Iowa, the only snakes legal to kill are garter snakes. Who would want to kill a garter snake?

On the home front, my Cairn Terrier was barking at something outside today. One difference I've seen between many city people and most country folks is that when the dog is barking, a lot of urbanites will just holler at him to shut up. Rural folks drop what they're doing to go see what he's barking at. In this case, it was about two-thirds of a coral snake, which he had brought up to the carport to show me. I don't know where the missing tail was, but what was left of the snake was plumb dead. That makes the second one we've seen this week, and Fergus saw both of them before I did. The first one was when I had him out on a leash walk on our dirt road. It headed out into the brush and we let it go. I don't know where he found the one he killed today.

I think a lot of our indigenous snakes start shedding their skins this month. We'll see what turns up.

Notchy Bob

Reaction score
Bob, thanks. I rarely kill snakes, as they really affect the natural progression of things.

Couple old rhymes about coral snakes and scarlet king snakes: Red touches yellow will kill a fellow; red touches black is a friend of Jack. I have handled both of them, properly, I might add.

Biggest snake I've ever seen was in the Pantanal area of Brazil. Way to the west, that area is similar to the Everglades - water, water everywhere, with tons of small islands. Some of the islands are inhabited, many not. Met an old gent there who used a muzzle loader, looked to be about .62 cal or so, percussion, made in Brazil in the 1860's. Not bad, but it had been in his family for over 100 years, and it was considerable beat up. He was showing me a nice area with a large variety of different plants, a veritable Garden of Eden. But near the shore, by some cattails, was an enormous Anaconda. A conservative estimate would be 30' long, and probably over a foot in diameter for a lot of that length. Those anacondas would eat that old man's goats - he was really afraid of it. Rascal probably weighed over 500 pounds. The old man, whose first name escapes me, told that the anacondas took two or three people per year. Ah - Genesio daSilva.

Don't ever want to see another!

Reaction score
It’s illegal to kill snakes in most of/all Australian States unless they pose a direct danger.

I’ve handled a few and once because I got involved in a possible disaster, I was Armourer on the Range for a Vickers Machine Gun shoot and had occasion to go behind the neighbouring butts (the toilets were down that way) where there was an Infantry shoot going on, suddenly a group of young soldiers polnted their rifles into one of the target pits, yelling shoot it.
I immediately shouted ”Hault”, which got their attention and one of them said that there was a snake in the pit.
I told them that if they fired into the pit there would be ricochets and bodies everywhere.
”How do we get it out, Sir” asked one.
Big Mouth said get in the pit and pick it up and immediately a voice from the rear said “Why don’t you do it, Sir.”.
Big Mouth was in a quandary, so I borrowed a rifle trapped the snake by the head got into the pit and picked him up then threw him/her out towards the mound and instantly it was shot to pieces.
I went on my way wondering where their Officers or NCOs were as they shouldn’t have had any live rounds.

I had no authority as my rank was equivalent to theirs but I was wearing blue combination overalls and a blue beret with Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers badge, so that difference plus shouting must have misled them.

Reaction score
The way I see it is they're just trying to make a living, too. I neeeearly stepped square on a big fat blunt tail yesterday evening while looking for bushtails. Although we both recoiled, I saw no reason to unload the smoothie on it.

I've dirtbagged it a lot. I have definitely slept tentless in a few questionable places on the trail over the years, and have yet to be surprised by a snake in my bedroll.

That being said, a good sack or bedroll that closes up tight would be a first defense. A good dog would be a close second.

JBrandon

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Legal to kill garter snakes in Iowa? I learn something every day.
I like snakes, though I admit I prefer to admire the poison ones at a distance.
In the dentist office a couple years ago, listening to the assistant and patient in the next cubicle. She: "I hate snakes." He: "Me too. There was a garter snake in my yard and I tried to run it over with the mower, but I think it got away."
I hate idiots who kill nice critters for no reason, couldn't keep my mouth shut, so I shouted: "Leave the damn snakes alone! They don't hurt you and they eat pests."
Silence from that room for the rest of my visit. But it's hard to change idiots' minds.

Reaction score
There’s a pair of mockingbirds that allow me to live in their yard. They are on guard from daylight to dark 7 days a week and have rules strictly prohibiting cats and snakes. Our yard ends in a small river so we have potential to see quite a few of the no shouldered critters (not so many cats probably due to coyotes and bobcats). On 3 occasions I have seen my feathered security team dive bomb and chase snakes back to the river. When they are nesting they don’t tolerate any intruders including me

Reaction score
On my property I will go out of my way to kill any venomous snake

i go out of my way to kill rattlesnakes wherever they are found.

My high frequency hearing is shot and i can't hear the damn things. A co-worker and myself were down range getting some parts off an old truck when he said: "You don't hear that rattlesnake". My response: "What rattlesnake would that be"? He pointed the 6 foot, 6 inch western diamond back about ten feet away. i had been within three feet of that snake. That snake had fangs one inch long and could have killed my butt. Thankfully the morning was cool and the snake had swallowed something big recently.

Saw a huge western diamondback coiled on the roadside. Two guys were watching the snake when i stopped, unlimbered my shotgun and killed the thing. One of them had a total fit.

i pointed to a home about 100 yards away and told the guy a friend and his family live there and their 6 year old girl is always outside on nice days. The guy threatened to call the police. i immediately called the sheriff and told the duty deputy i killed a big rattlesnake along the road. Not to worry.

Reaction score
Last year a friend was running a dozer clearing new ground. He got off his machine and was bitten by a copperhead. I don’t know who the aggressor was but it doesn’t matter he was just as bit either way. He went to a nearby small hospital and they started antivenin but didn’t have enough to fully stop the effects of the stuff the snake had injected in him. He was taken to Memphis and they treated him there and sent him home. For days he complained of feeling bad and within a week he died. I don’t think an autopsy was done but everybody just chalked it up to the snake bite

Reaction score
Snake bite treatment then and now:

In days long gone by the first concern was removal of the venom. In about 1967 a member of our fishing party was bitten on the leg by a large timber rattler. Someone had a snake bite kit. A tourniquet was placed above the bite, the suction pump was placed over the bite holes and the venom sucked out; it was visible in the clear pump. The snake bite victim walked four miles to the vehicles and was taken to the hospital. He was released the next day.

Few years ago i met a snake handler who had one fang bite between the thumb and forefinger. Snake was a western diamondback rattlesnake. Man was taken to the emergency room of an Oklahoma City hospital where he languished for over four hours before seeing a doctor. Man was given numerous rounds of antivenom. His arm was cut open to above the elbow. The hospital bill was $220,000.

Reaction score
Here in the Pa. big woods , we gots timber rattle snakes , yeller ones , green ones , black ones , white ones , tan , and brown ones ,and some in between. Be they warned , you can relocate them legally. Will let the imagination run , on how it might be done. I want no parts of 'em around me or my dog.

Last edited:

1BadDart

40 Cal
Reaction score
I live in W. KY, and we have water moccasins, copperheads and in some places, timber rattlers. I very seldom see water moccasins anymore though, I think the chemicals used in farming leaching into ponds has something to do with it. Copperheads are seldom seen too. We have several species of non venomous snakes, I don't bother them though as they're mousers and I hate mice. I'd rather have a snake in the house as a mouse!

There was a rumor several years ago that the KYDFW was releasing baby rattlesnakes by helicopter, some folks were furious. It wasn't true of course.

Snakes aren't bad people.

Enfield58

45 Cal.
Reaction score
So.....you send the WIFE out there to lock down the chickens?:eek: Smart.

Have you priced divorce lawyers lately?

My ex-wife would look at them and they would freeze. Have you ever picked up a frozen snake?

During WWII, my Father was in the Army and they were bivouacked just outside Ft. Hood. He went to get in his sleeping bag one night and a snake was in the foot of the bag.

He didn't tell me what kind of snake that was in the sleeping bag but he got out as fast as he could.

There was only one man laughing in the group as the others were surprised by my Father's quick exit from his sleeping bag. So my Father figured that was the soldier that put the snake in there.

As most men would do in that situation, my Father beat the other soldier up.

The next day they were both standing in front of the 1SG. He asked my Father, "Why did you beat this man up?"

My Dad's answer was because he placed a snake in his sleeping bag.

The 1SG responded, "I would have beat him also. Now both of you get out of my sight."

If that situation happened today, my Father would be court martialed and the snake handler given counseling.

Reaction score
Here's a pretty good sized Timber Rattler, or velvet tail as I always heard them called. I ran across this one in the middle of a county road southeast of Emerson, AR while chasing down some trouble on a copper pair. 11 rattles and one button if my memory serves me right. Absolute unit of a snake. velvettail.jpg