Snakes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Reintroduction of rattlesnakes in Arkansas (and probably other states as well) is a popular, totally unsupported myth. My guess is that Arkansas has a plentiful supply of its native rattlesnakes.
So I'm a liar and you are an expert on issues outside your own state... by the way, how do them caterpillars taste with toast and jam? I GUESS I won't be trying any anytime soon.

Reaction score
Introduction of snakes by someone isn’t uncommon. Now, the assertion that a state game department did it secretly is harder to prove. In Kansas a few years ago western diamondbacks showed up in one state park in the middle of the state. They are not native to the area. The speculation is someone thought it would be neat to have them here and released a few. The state did undertake a program to eradicate them and I think it was successful.

Notchy Bob

58 Cal.
Reaction score
My wife found this article online today: Here Are the States Where It's Illegal to Kill Snakes

This is on the Wide Open Spaces website. It's kind of hard to read because the entire website is plastered with ads, but it's worth making the effort. In preparing the article, the author went through the regulations for all fifty states, and he also noted the snakes that are under federal protection. I didn't read the whole thing, but of what I did read, I didn't see anything about reintroductions. That may have been outside the scope of the article, anyway. However, with a nod to brother @Treestalker , all snakes are protected in Arkansas, as he said. The exception there would be snakes that pose a reasonable threat or endangerment to persons or property. I'm assuming "property" would include dogs. So, there is sort of a self-defense clause.

Some of the regulations are surprising, funny, or just weird. It's illegal to kill a coral snake in Alabama, for example. I think moonshine is illegal there, too, but I don't think the law has much effect on that very popular cottage industry in Alabama.

California considers snakes game animals, but lumps reptiles with fish. So, while you can kill a rattlesnake any time in California, you apparently need to have a fishing license to do it. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.

In Iowa, the only snakes legal to kill are garter snakes. Who would want to kill a garter snake?

On the home front, my Cairn Terrier was barking at something outside today. One difference I've seen between many city people and most country folks is that when the dog is barking, a lot of urbanites will just holler at him to shut up. Rural folks drop what they're doing to go see what he's barking at. In this case, it was about two-thirds of a coral snake, which he had brought up to the carport to show me. I don't know where the missing tail was, but what was left of the snake was plumb dead. That makes the second one we've seen this week, and Fergus saw both of them before I did. The first one was when I had him out on a leash walk on our dirt road. It headed out into the brush and we let it go. I don't know where he found the one he killed today.

I think a lot of our indigenous snakes start shedding their skins this month. We'll see what turns up.

Notchy Bob

Reaction score
Bob, thanks. I rarely kill snakes, as they really affect the natural progression of things.

Couple old rhymes about coral snakes and scarlet king snakes: Red touches yellow will kill a fellow; red touches black is a friend of Jack. I have handled both of them, properly, I might add.

Biggest snake I've ever seen was in the Pantanal area of Brazil. Way to the west, that area is similar to the Everglades - water, water everywhere, with tons of small islands. Some of the islands are inhabited, many not. Met an old gent there who used a muzzle loader, looked to be about .62 cal or so, percussion, made in Brazil in the 1860's. Not bad, but it had been in his family for over 100 years, and it was considerable beat up. He was showing me a nice area with a large variety of different plants, a veritable Garden of Eden. But near the shore, by some cattails, was an enormous Anaconda. A conservative estimate would be 30' long, and probably over a foot in diameter for a lot of that length. Those anacondas would eat that old man's goats - he was really afraid of it. Rascal probably weighed over 500 pounds. The old man, whose first name escapes me, told that the anacondas took two or three people per year. Ah - Genesio daSilva.

Don't ever want to see another!

Reaction score
Copperheads and Cottonmouths are sluggish in cooler spring and Fall nights. I have
stepped on a moccasin who did not land a good strike. Many people in Florida are
bitten each year. They can call for protection but most folks shoot poisonous snakes.

Reaction score
It’s illegal to kill snakes in most of/all Australian States unless they pose a direct danger.

I’ve handled a few and once because I got involved in a possible disaster, I was Armourer on the Range for a Vickers Machine Gun shoot and had occasion to go behind the neighbouring butts (the toilets were down that way) where there was an Infantry shoot going on, suddenly a group of young soldiers polnted their rifles into one of the target pits, yelling shoot it.
I immediately shouted ”Hault”, which got their attention and one of them said that there was a snake in the pit.
I told them that if they fired into the pit there would be ricochets and bodies everywhere.
”How do we get it out, Sir” asked one.
Big Mouth said get in the pit and pick it up and immediately a voice from the rear said “Why don’t you do it, Sir.”.
Big Mouth was in a quandary, so I borrowed a rifle trapped the snake by the head got into the pit and picked him up then threw him/her out towards the mound and instantly it was shot to pieces.
I went on my way wondering where their Officers or NCOs were as they shouldn’t have had any live rounds.

I had no authority as my rank was equivalent to theirs but I was wearing blue combination overalls and a blue beret with Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers badge, so that difference plus shouting must have misled them.