Quantcast

Snakes?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Lastmohecken

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I will let snakes live in the wild, but around the house and barns their dead. I don’t have any love for snakes. I am not picking them up and I am not living with them either

rshveyda

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I'm sitting here in my stocking feet at the computer desk reading through these posts on snakes. Just the though of them makes me want to lift my feet up off the ground and sit cross-legged in my chair. My logical brain tells me snakes are an important part of the animal kingdom who, given enough space, would rather go about their business than bother me. My emotional brain, on the other hand, can't help but holler "eek!"

Mad L

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I follow my dad's rule of thumb, when it comes to rattlesnakes: if they're in my back yard, I'll kill them to protect the kids and dogs. If I'm in their back yard, I let them be.

It's been my experience that most rattlesnakes aren't very aggressive; they just want to be left alone. But Mojave green rattlers? They're belligerent as hell. They'll come straight at you, instead of holding in place or moving away. And to make it worse, they tend to run in pairs.

There's a website called Rattlesnake Solutions, and an article there spends a lot of bandwidth 'debunking' the notion that Mojave greens are aggressive; and claiming that they won't 'throw the first punch.' All I can say is that if the idiot who wrote it had spent time on my 20 acres between Kingman AZ and the Colorado River, where my parents lived for years, he might not be so sure of that.

It reminded me of a guide book I bought years ago for the Pacific Crest Trail, in which the author smugly informed his readers that snakes in the desert are a complete non-issue, because he had hiked the hills above the Coachella Valley many times without ever seeing one.

:doh:
You are Correct, Troy2000, those Mojave Greens are some right pugnacious varmints!!
I have handled hundreds of rattlers; Pacific Diamonds, Western Diamonds, even on the east cost Pygmy Rattlers.
But my encounters with Majve Greens: they are Not ordinary and they will not only fight back but they WILL give chase!

Odd I just came across your post; just the other day in Virginia City I happened across a gent (we wander in garb for tourists) and he brought up snakes - he too agrees with us both about the Majve Greens.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
and mosquitos … when I get to heaven I will ask Noah, "why didn't you swat those two mosquitos?"
In Chesapeake by Michener he told a ‘Indian’ story about how the Great Spirt created paradise on earth on the Delmarva peninsula. There were lots of deer and small game. Eatable plants grew everywhere. The waters teamed with fish, oyster, and crab. The great water fowl came everywhere year. It did not get to cold in winter, and in summer the cooling breezes make it more comfortable.
The water is sweet, and one could live well in the mashes.
But there are mosquitoes.
The Great Sprit put them there to remind people not to get so complacent with the good of life.

Dale Lilly

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Fishing from a small boat near Stillwater, Oklahoma years ago. Flipped our stringer of bass into the boat .. going home .. and firmly attached was a cottonmouth about four feet long. My friend and I had a fully clothed swim of about 50 yards. … oh .. and a long, wet wait for him to leave while we hovered in a borrowed boat. Polecat

Griz44Mag

62 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Fishing from a small boat near Stillwater, Oklahoma years ago. Flipped our stringer of bass into the boat .. going home .. and firmly attached was a cottonmouth about four feet long. My friend and I had a fully clothed swim of about 50 yards. … oh .. and a long, wet wait for him to leave while we hovered in a borrowed boat. Polecat
He probably mistook your stringer for a Long John's - they do love a good fish for lunch.... especially when they don't have to catch it....

Eutycus

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought it was a rubber snake that one of Bill's friends threw on him. I wonder why some people think scaring someone with a rubber or dead snake is funny? I knew a man who got a concussion by hitting his head trying to get away from a dead rattler that someone planted as a joke.

Newtire

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've eaten rattlesnake, breaded and deep fried and alligator tail breaded and fried. To me both taste like chicken. I really love frog legs. My wife didn't believe that they would actually jump out of the frying pan until she cooked some for me and my brother in law before he was killed. Don't think I'd ever eat a snail and I hate crawdads and chitlins.
I had rattlesnake once and it had a rank taste like carp. Everyone’s taste buds are different. Was told you have to soak them in milk but we just steaked it and tossed it on the grill.

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought it was a rubber snake that one of Bill's friends threw on him. I wonder why some people think scaring someone with a rubber or dead snake is funny? I knew a man who got a concussion by hitting his head trying to get away from a dead rattler that someone planted as a joke.
Practical jokes do run the risk of injury. I hope the guy is OK.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Old story of a man going fishing along a creek. In open meadowland he comes across another fisherman. After talking a bit our bot moves on toward the woods that came down to the creek. The other guy yell there are snakes over there. The first say ah none that will hurt you, the other answers no, but they sure make you hurt yourself.

Henry Miles

36 Cl.
Reaction score
My late Grandpa, born in 1903, told of a fella that he knew got bitten by a black snake and died and that black snakes were poisonous! I tried to explain to him that the fella most likely died from a heart attack but he wouldn't hear anything different. He was convinced black snakes are poisonous!

sawyer04

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
They disproved that one way back in the late 40s. Notion was the snakes smelled horse and would back off. Upon testing the theory if failed.
I thought it was the rough course texture of the horse hair and the snake didn't like the idea of crawling over it. I have got my grandfathers old horse hair rope and it isn't pleasant to handle, rough and sticky. I will believe both versions of the rope working and not working, as I don't really want to test the method.

Shooter1

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
You are Correct, Troy2000, those Mojave Greens are some right pugnacious varmints!!
I have handled hundreds of rattlers; Pacific Diamonds, Western Diamonds, even on the east cost Pygmy Rattlers.
But my encounters with Majve Greens: they are Not ordinary and they will not only fight back but they WILL give chase!

Odd I just came across your post; just the other day in Virginia City I happened across a gent (we wander in garb for tourists) and he brought up snakes - he too agrees with us both about the Majve Greens.
Met a nice BIG Mojave Green around Griffith siding on BNSF RR. Only snake I ever had cross the road close in front of me which kept her eyes on me the whole way, right down to backing into the brush while keeping its head in my direction. Only one I ever saw in the 4 ft. range , most are smaller..

troy2000

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Met a nice BIG Mojave Green around Griffith siding on BNSF RR. Only snake I ever had cross the road close in front of me which kept her eyes on me the whole way, right down to backing into the brush while keeping its head in my direction. Only one I ever saw in the 4 ft. range , most are smaller..
A 4 ft Mojave Green? That's downright scary