Snakes?

Discussion in 'Trekking' started by rshveyda, Mar 28, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Mar 28, 2019 #1

rshveyda

rshveyda

rshveyda

36 Cl.

I grew up in rattlesnake country with a mother who was deathly afraid of snakes. I have childhood memories of her hollering for my father whenever snakes got into our backyard, and the irrational fear she showed rubbed off on me in a bad, bad way.

I've killed, skinned and even eaten rattlesnake in the past, but today I would rather let the innocent critter go his own way while I go mine. But the idea of being surprised by one while on a woods walk scares the crud out of me. Almost as much as spotting a moose or bear up close would. Nuts, right? Luckily, snakes are somewhat rare up here in North Idaho most of the year. The few I've seen still struck fear in my tenderfoot heart.

So, while I love camp, I have never slept outside of a tent. How do you guys deal with creepy crawlies when you sleep on the open ground? And the idea of snuggling up under a rock overhang or in a cave is unthinkable, IMHO.

2. Mar 28, 2019 #2

Ames

Ames

Ames

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
    Loved snakes since I was 4 years old. Used to hike the hills, off the beaten path, just to get to the denning areas. I would sit there watching them emerge every May.
    Eat lunch with them Take pictures. Movies too. In the fall I took pictures of the mother rattlers with the newborns, perhaps a day old at most. Copperheads were harder to spot on the leaves and rocks than the rattlers.
    Alas, that was another state and another time. I miss them, and would rather sleep on the ground with them in the area than most people I run into in the woods.

Silky921 and azmntman like this.
  3. Mar 28, 2019 #3

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

Live in rattlesnake, mountain lion, and bear county and don't really give it much thought. Have bears in camp and two times big bears broke into my chicken pens and killed them all. Seen about 8 or 10 mountain lions in the wild from 30 yards to half mile away. Watch where I walk and where I put my hands and never had a problem. The only people I know that have been bite by rattlesnakes were messing around with them, most of the time after a few adult drinks. Common sense goes a long way in staying safe.

Treestalker, Shot deer and azmntman like this.
  4. Mar 28, 2019 #4

Nyckname

Nyckname

Nyckname

40 cal - b

Fifteen minute walk from Independence Hall.
    There are therapists who specialize in desensitization. They'll start with talking you through looking at pictures, and work up from there.

As for me, I used to help a friend milk rattlesnakes to sell the venom.

5. Mar 28, 2019 #5

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Cannon MLF Supporter

I'm not so magnanimous when it comes to venomous snakes. Fortunately, we do not have many around here, mostly copperheads and the mower scares them off my property. But, if I see a copper or rattler I'll kill it if I get the chance.

Bruce A., LRB and azmntman like this.
  6. Mar 28, 2019 #6

mushka

mushka

mushka

36 Cal.

When hunting or camping I like to sleep outside. I use a cot because my old fanny just doesn't conform to ground sleeping any longer. Slept in a big hollowed out rock once and the only thing that tried to get in bed with me was a ringtailed critter called a miner's cat. Woke me unexpectedly and I kicked it off my cot. They are harmless pretty much and they do seem to like people. When in snowy or rainy conditions I'll use a tent but it's not my favorite. Never had a problem with reptiles, just keep an eye out for them. Did find a king snake in the yard a couple of times, lives under a woodpile out back. He's a good guy. I'm more inclined to dislike the insects that live in the desert.

Silky921 likes this.
  7. Mar 28, 2019 #7

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

[QUOTE="mushka, only thing that tried to get in bed with me was a ringtailed critter called a miner's cat. Woke me unexpectedly and I kicked it off my cot. They are harmless pretty much and they do seem to like people. .[/QUOTE]

We have them here and their real name is a Ringtail Cat, (raccoon family) they are call miner's cat here because it is said the 49er's tame them as pets.
    th.jpg

8. Mar 28, 2019 #8

Einsiedler

Einsiedler

Einsiedler

40 Cal.

Only thing I ever found in my bedroll was one night at Alabama
    Frontier days (Ft. Toulouse/Jackson) many years ago , I set up my simple lean-to behind the native village. I got to my camp one evening ( cool & light rain) and crawled into my bedroll. Felt something cold on my calf. Fished out a pair of very naughty spotted salamanders. I gently pitched them into the pine needles and went fast to sleep.

Even tho I live in a rattler, copperhead, and moccasin infested area my biggest issue has always been stinging scorpions. Been burned several times in bed by them! Outdoors and in the house!

9. Mar 28, 2019 #9

Einsiedler

Einsiedler

Einsiedler

40 Cal.

We have them here and their real name is a Ringtail Cat, (raccoon family) they are call miner's cat here because it is said the 49er's tame them as pets.
    View attachment 7383 [/QUOTE]
    P

We used to get $2.50 a piece for ringtails. Had lots of em here. Especially a little to the west of us. Most folks don’t have a clue what they are. My favorite trapping spot for them was along old rock fences or rocky bluffs.

Juice Jaws likes this.
  10. Mar 28, 2019 #10

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

Snakes and other wild creatures will make every effort to get as far away from you as they can. Humans stink and are noisy - animals pick up on this and move away. Occasionally, there is an encounter, but be smart, don't panic and move away. If setting up camp, check the area to make sure you aren't setting up in their front yard and don't reach into places where you can't see. Other than that, I've not given it much thought and never worried. On the other hand, I've gone Rattlesnake hunting on purpose in the past but don't bother them if I happen to see them now.

11. Mar 28, 2019 #11

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

[QUOTE="Einsiedler, biggest issue has always been stinging scorpions. Been burned several times in bed by them! Outdoors and in the house![/QUOTE]

Yes scorpions are the biggest problem here also. I think there sting is worse than a bee or yellow jacket. One house we live in every morning had to shake out your shoes before putting them on.

Einsiedler likes this.
  12. Mar 28, 2019 #12

The Crisco Kid

The Crisco Kid

The Crisco Kid

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

My great grandfather had a horse hair rope that he laid out around his bedroll at night when he was camped out in central Oregon. The snakes supposedly didn't like to crawl over it because it tickled their bellies. I think it was more of a mental help than a real one. Maybe it worked. He slept out a lot and never got bit.

Nyckname and sawyer04 like this.
  13. Mar 28, 2019 #13

sawyer04

sawyer04

sawyer04

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

My grandfather was an old cowboy that worked in Arizona. He had a horse tail rope. He laid it around his bed roll. Swore by it to keep snakes away.

14. Mar 28, 2019 #14

bang

bang

bang

45 Cal.

Be careful where and who you tell about your dealings with rattlesnakes. Make sure you are up to date on the regulations. In a lot of places now it is illegal to kill certain rattlesnakes. Big fines.

Einsiedler and Nyckname like this.
  15. Mar 28, 2019 #15

Ames

Ames

Ames

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
    They disproved that one way back in the late 40s. Notion was the snakes smelled horse and would back off. Upon testing the theory if failed.

16. Mar 28, 2019 #16

azmntman

azmntman

azmntman

75 Cal.

Dont miss dont tell

Bruce A. likes this.
  17. Mar 28, 2019 #17

azmntman

azmntman

azmntman

75 Cal.

MOST rattler bites are due to alcohol. Watch videos on it and the drinks grab em behind the head. They dont realize the snake has the ability to turn his head and nail ya. Ya GOT to have a tight hold of the base of the head and not lightly. They can really twist. I prefer a 20 ga myself. If I thought I might be detrimental to the species survival I would not kill one w/o cause. I just hate em. A garden snake or water snake just a snake, rattlers, moccasins, copperheads, they look evil, especially a rattler.

Bruce A. and Okie Hog like this.
  18. Mar 28, 2019 #18

azmntman

azmntman

azmntman

75 Cal.

I seem to really like tents. I also hate spiders and skeeters

Juice Jaws and LRB like this.
  19. Mar 28, 2019 #19

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Cannon MLF Supporter

Yep, same with shooting dawgs messing with yer livestock. The three S's.

20. Mar 28, 2019 #20

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Cannon MLF Supporter

Yep, them drunk rattlers are the worst.

Pete G and Nyckname like this.