Snake Time/ Danger

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Woody Morgan

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know anyone who has had good or bad results when their dog was bitten by a rattler? It says the shot doesn’t work for mohave rattlers, it’d be my luck to run into one, though I’ve never seen one outside of a zoo.
Mojave Greens suck. They're aggressive and the venom is both hemotoxic and neurotoxic.
Seen my share and avoid at all cost.
1633055502787.png

wm

Last edited:

Ponderosaman

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Mojave Greens suck. They're aggressive and the venom is both hemotoxic and neurotoxic.
Seen my share and avoid at all cost.

wm
Seems they look an awful lot like Western diamondbacks. This is the only one I’ve had the wherewithal to take a picture. Almost stepped on it. Pretty little. Think its a Western.

Attachments

gunnyr

40 Cal
Reaction score
I saw one copperhead kill a whole group of people. About twenty.
A friend of mine was hunting when this timber rattler struck at him. It missed and hit a tree. Well after that cottonmouth hit the tree it took to swelling. He told everyone and we went to see the tree.
It was huge.
We cut it down and built a small chapel out of that one tree.
Well, lots of folk get bit by Pygmy rattlers and swell but don’t die.
Sure enough they were dedicating that chapel when the swelling went out. Crushed the whole congregation
You got to be ware of them rattletsiledcoppermouths.
Reminds me of the stories my Grandfather would tell.
gunny

Buffaloman

32 Cal
Reaction score
My local vet states the rattle snake vaccine only gives the dog an extra 30 minutes to real medical attention. He is not very impressed with the vaccine. It's also very expensive. In our state Washington, there are no rattlers west of the Cascade Mountain divide, only eastern WA. Eastern WA id where all the best hunting habitate. Years ago, I took my family on a week long raft trip down the Lower Snake River. Camped on the beaches as we drifted some 100 miles. Finding a beach without snake trails from the high brush accross the sand was difficult. Only encountered a snakein camp on our last night. It was dusk . I used the 8' oar to relocate the snake upstream of the camp site twice. The third time it cam through camp, I dismembered it. It was a pigmy rattler. Apparently their venom is more toxic than the larger snakes.

Hermit Tim

40 Cal
Reaction score
I carry a hoe with the head straightened out for a walking stick during the warm months . If they are out of range of the hoe they are usually no danger to me . We have all the poison snakes in my area and they run to the large size .
Pulaski TN. here. Snakes have been plentiful around here this year. Not much lower never though.

Hermit Tim

40 Cal
Reaction score
I probably should, as I’ve been snake bit once by a rattle snake, three times by copperheads. But with the exception of cotton mouths I find the last thing a snake wants todo is bite you. I never been bothered by them
Each time I was bit it was my fault
Glad you survived all those bites as I enjoy your comments on the forum. Yep, snakes don't like to be bothered much. But sometimes we can't help but mess with them.

Eddie Southgate

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Do you know anyone who has had good or bad results when their dog was bitten by a rattler? It says the shot doesn’t work for mohave rattlers, it’d be my luck to run into one, though I’ve never seen one outside of a zoo.
When I was a kid we had two dogs that got bit pretty regular . They would kill every snake they found and usually got bit doing it. They would crawl under the house ( old country house on rock pillar foundation ) and whine and carry on for a few days and were off their feed for a few more but nothing worse . Mostly Copperheads but I watched them both get bit by a medium sized Diamondback one day and never could tell that their reaction was any different . That said , a neighbor lady had her dog bit by a copperhead and it died fairly quickly .

The Mojave Rattler poison is a lot worse than the poison of the snakes we normally see in Tennessee and Alabama . I know of one fellow that got bit by a Cottonmouth in Madison Alabama and died before they could get him to a hospital that was 20 minutes away but that is not normal . Most people bit survive if threated within a reasonable time .

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Never had to deal with Mohave greens. But I can say this about even aggressive snakes.
They don’t want to bite you, or your dog. They want gophers and moles and rats.
Sometimes biting people or dogs they give little or no venom.
That why crazy cures like tobacco juice or sucking out blood, getting drunk works
Sometimes they hit with too big a load and nothing helps. Can’t get to the doc or the vet fast enough or enough anti venom to help
It’s a crap shoot

Latest posts