Snake Time/ Danger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Jaegermeister

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This one was totally silent. Looks as if it had just eaten a healthy meal for hibernation. There’s a huge swamp behind him and rocky bluffs ahead of him where they all winter over. LaRue Pine Hills it’s called. Snake infested as hell. I generally don’t hike that area unless dead of winter.

Reaction score
I probably should, as I’ve been snake bit once by a rattle snake, three times by copperheads. But with the exception of cotton mouths I find the last thing a snake wants todo is bite you. I never been bothered by them
Each time I was bit it was my fault

Reaction score
Here in North Central Pa. , timber rattlesnakes come in colors other than tan , black , brown . They can be green , white , cream , golden brown, yellow, and combinations of all the before mentioned. I personally consider this bizarre , only because my short 20 year exposure to the population still hasn't conditioned me to accept their looks. Why hasn't anyone ever written about this? Ya never know what mother nature will cook up next. Three things I don't play well with , bears , ticks , and strangely colored rattle snakes............oldwood:ghostly:

Reaction score
Gentlemen, you’re very welcome to your snakes; we’ve enough of our own in Australia, some are very deadly but around here we commonly have only two deadly ones, the Tiger snake and the Brown snake. (both named from their appearance, but that can confusingly vary) and one not so bad but still to be avoided, the Black snake.
Plus the usual pythons, which fortunately don’t grow very big.
I treat all snakes with respect and most of them will get out of the way when they sense your presence.
on the few times that I’ve come close to one in the bush I’ve been hunting and took the meeting as a complement to my stalking skills:thumb:

Jaegermeister

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Not a great photo but here’s one we came across a few years ago in another local area. The head was almost an antique
62835CA7-3A73-4CC9-B628-8D79D553BA51.jpeg
patina copper green color. Beautiful yet scary as hell!

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
Here in North Central Pa. , timber rattlesnakes come in colors other than tan , black , brown . They can be green , white , cream , golden brown, yellow, and combinations of all the before mentioned. I personally consider this bizarre , only because my short 20 year exposure to the population still hasn't conditioned me to accept their looks. Why hasn't anyone ever written about this? Ya never know what mother nature will cook up next. Three things I don't play well with , bears , ticks , and strangely colored rattle snakes............oldwood:ghostly:
I've even seen them almost solid black. So dark you have to get closer than most people would like to make out the pattern.

Reaction score
I just don't want them to be in my space. I have a precious dog that loves me , and I don't want to loose her to snake bite. All of the slithering poisonous critters in my yard will die. Neighbor has a young grand daughter , and she wanders over to my yard often. Don't want her hurt either,
Couple years ago , a retired friend of mine was walking down his driveway like he and his kindergarten granddaughter did each morning , to put her on the school bus. Most mornings the child would run ahead of grandpa to get his mail out of the box. That morning , the bus came early , so the child went directly to the bus. Bus pulls away , grandpa goes to the mail box and was greeted with buzzing of a 40+ " black color rattler curled for action at the base of the mail box post. Needless to say , the critter was " relocated " , minus a body part or two. Here in Pa. , it's illegal to harm the snakes , but they can be "relocated for their safety"., ...................oldwood

Eutycus

70 Cal.
Reaction score
My sister-in-law is still upset with me for not killing the big blue/ black snake that she stepped over last month.I refused because I think it was one of the "good snakes". I'm 99% sure it was a blue indigo.Here in Texas we have 4 breeds of snake that actually kill and eat rattlers (and other unwanted varieties) and the blue indigo is one of them. But they are a large and wicked looking creature.

Reaction score
I just don't want them to be in my space. I have a precious dog that loves me , and I don't want to loose her to snake bite. All of the slithering poisonous critters in my yard will die. Neighbor has a young grand daughter , and she wanders over to my yard often. Don't want her hurt either,
Couple years ago , a retired friend of mine was walking down his driveway like he and his kindergarten granddaughter did each morning , to put her on the school bus. Most mornings the child would run ahead of grandpa to get his mail out of the box. That morning , the bus came early , so the child went directly to the bus. Bus pulls away , grandpa goes to the mail box and was greeted with buzzing of a 40+ " black color rattler curled for action at the base of the mail box post. Needless to say , the critter was " relocated " , minus a body part or two. Here in Pa. , it's illegal to harm the snakes , but they can be "relocated for their safety"., ...................oldwood
I didn’t see the snake so don’t want to say what it was or wasn’t. And I know timber ratters sometimes are near black…. So I stress I’m not making a judgment call here.
Nor do I know snakes in that area.
However I’ve seen black snakes and blue racers all rattle their tails and coil to strike. In a dry area of leaves or straw they sound just like rattlers

Reaction score
Tenngun,
"However I’ve seen black snakes and blue racers all rattle their tails and coil to strike. In a dry area of leaves or straw they sound just like rattlers"

I've seen bull snakes do that also. They also will eat other snakes along with a lot of rodents. Good snakes to have around and they can grow to be quite large (6 feet long and fat)

Latest posts