• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snake Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rodwha said:
This is an area in which I think a Colt styled pistol is nice in that an additional barrel can be purchased and bored smooth for something like this.

If you did that in a .44, and worked the cylinder over for maximum depth and suitable diameter, using a thin card or the metal gas checks, I wonder how close you could come to 2 1/2" .410 performance? :hmm:

Just a thought. I may be way off base here. :confused:

TNGhost said:
...I wonder how close you could come to 2 1/2" .410 performance? :hmm:

Oh, within about 20 yards. Twenty yards short, that is. :rotf:

Popped a whole lot of those little 2.5" over the years, and they're good to 20-25 yards. But I'd be really surprised if you got as much as 5 yards with a useable pattern from the pistola.

BrownBear said:
TNGhost said:
...I wonder how close you could come to 2 1/2" .410 performance? :hmm:

Oh, within about 20 yards. Twenty yards short, that is. :rotf:

Popped a whole lot of those little 2.5" over the years, and they're good to 20-25 yards. But I'd be really surprised if you got as much as 5 yards with a useable pattern from the pistola.

Would that be due to the performance of the loading possible, or barrel length? I was thinking in terms of a Contender.

The Walker is the .44 cal Colt that I really just feel I need, and it seems to me to be the better choice as it would give a bit of room for powder, wads, cards, and shot, as well as having a longer barrel.

I was told these often have a larger diameter chamber and bore. If this is so a custom punch would be in order.

I've wanted a stock one for hunting as a primary, and maybe an additional barrel cut to 4-6" as a sidearm so as to be easier to draw if needed.

I've got an itch for one of those as well, or one of the dragoons that followed. If they weren't so heavy you could pack a pair like J.W. did. Maybe one smoothbore and one rifled :haha:

BrownBear said:
TNGhost said:
I was thinking in terms of a Contender.

So was I. Unscrew the choke from that gun, and you get about a 5 yard pattern at best.

I was going off the idea rodwha had of an extra barrel reamed to smooth. The Walker is going in the direction I was thinking. Don't know if you could get the load where you wanted it though. :idunno: Could be worth a try.

I wonder who would say the Walker has a bigger bore?

Per the Dixie catalog, the Uberti Walker has a .440 bore with .466 grooves. The chamber is .449.

I guess this is a little bigger than the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Model Dragoon with its .440 bore, .456 grooves and .449 chamber or the 1860 Colt Army with its .440 bore, .452 grooves and .449 chamber but, were only talking about variations in the grooves.

That raise a big red flag for me. By the time you bored out the barrel it would be what, .470?

Jumping from a .449 chamber to the larger bore might raise all kinds of cob with gas blow-by, the biggest sin when trying for good shot patterns. Dollars to donuts, you'd be defeated from the start.

So..., you ream the chambers(not unheard of), or I have a hunch with the repros a dragoon barrel may fit on a Walker action, to get you closer, according to the figures above.

I am a glass half full kind of guy, :grin: I don't know the meaning of "defeated from the start" :haha:

I'd need to go back and find that thread (another forum), but the groove diameter you mentioned seemed quite similar to what I recall. Maybe I misunderstood or he misposted.

He did, however, state that he had a custom RB mold made for it as .457" wasn't enough (.460").

I'm curious why Uberti would use such large grooves.

I'd guess you'd also want your chambers about that too. Guess you'd be needing a custom RB mold or .490" balls”¦ Be a nice sized ring!

Back