• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

snake load for my Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attached are some practice targets for snake hunting.

Attachments

• Snake Target Game Rev 2.pdf
    546 KB · Views: 102
  • Snake Target.pdf
    165.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Tree Snake Target 3.pdf
    106.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Tree Snake Target 2.pdf
    102.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Tree Snake Target 1.pdf
    94.7 KB · Views: 81
Grew up in Kansas,got but once during harvest,hand swelled up like a grapefruit, here in Virginia where I live it's more a mocassian problem, I kill every one I find, Timber's are protected, Cane break are seldom seen, have a couple of speckled Kings that live in the barn,and untill 3 years ago had a rainbow boa,only copperheads I've seen are the ones my yard cat kills

Why kill the snakes? You are a visitor in their habitat

Sorry MM. If a venomous snake is on my property IT is the visitor in MY habitat. Yes, Copperheads are less deadly than Rattlers but they can do serious damage. The fact that they are less aggressive than rattlers actually makes them quite dangerous. Meaning, you can walk right up to one you don't see and he will strike rather than run away.
Also, they are very prolific. If I see one, or any viper, on my property I will try to kill it. Others, like blacksnakes, garters, etc. are just fine and left alone.

Looking forwards to test results on the snake loads.
A half inch diameter orange juice box card seated on the powder, shot with lube in it and a last card sounds like great place to start.

" I agree a regular pistol or rifle, .22 or whatever , with a single projectile is a good tool for such offensive operations. "

Bad idea. Hitting a small target at 10' is not always easy unless you practice it. If your rifle has a scope the bullets will hit low. I once missed a 6' rattler several times with a scoped 10-22. He decided to flee and hide under the building where we stored food and sleeping gear. With a pistol you may be nervous and bot capable of your best marksmanship. Unless you hit the head you will anger it and it will fight.

The tiny shot really works best. Chilled Lead Shot #12 1.3mm (11#/bag)-ballisticproducts.com

D9161528-93AB-4D40-8D80-28D083097EC8.png

I know of two guys who have been bitten by rattlesnakes and they all had something to do with " hold my beer and watch this "

Well, at least those friends were a little smarter than mine. He was drinking liquor, caught a baby rattlesnake but didn’t have it close enough to the head so it was able to dig one fang into his hand. He was a redneck from TN or KY. He nearly died from 3 doses.

After moving a thousand miles north we laugh while doing yard work about being so programmed to look for nonexistent copper heads. Was clearing a thicket of vines and rocks on a fence line yesterday, thinking about the little buggers and smiling at myself.

Well, at least those friends were a little smarter than mine. He was drinking liquor, caught a baby rattlesnake but didn’t have it close enough to the head so it was able to dig one fang into his hand. He was a redneck from TN or KY. He nearly died from 3 doses.

I am a red-neck and good old boy and at times we do have a way of getting into trouble.

The cobra in the last video appears to be a spectacled Indian cobra, not a King Cobra. The king Cobra is normally marked with V shaped chevrons on the back of the hood and sometimes all the way down the body.

It is very common for rattlesnakes to den up with others to conserve heat and winter together, going their separate ways when the weather warms up.

The snakes removed from under the modular housing unit are doing the owner a favor by keeping the rats and mice away. I worked as a service electrician for a time during my career and I think I would prefer a few snakes under the building instead of some of the other critters I have run across under mobile homes and modular housing. Rats and mice bring disease, fleas, ticks, toxic waste and worst. Now, that said, 45 snakes denning up under the house is something that needs to be mitigated, no argument there. Hopefully the individual collecting them will relocate them to a more conducive environment for their survival. Since he did not kill them and took the time to not just pile them all into a barrel I believe that he probably did the responsible thing with them. Scatter them out over several square miles in open range and let them help keep the vermin under control.
Nature designed them to do just that!!!

There is a location in our county where annually thousands of copperheads congregate under the same cedar tree. The property owner has tried to find a legal method of getting rid of them. But authorities tell him not to bother them. Had he just kept quiet I'm sure he could have found a way to eradicate them.

Back