• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SMR kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loved my Kibler. Parts very good fit. I rust blued steel parts. This was not even upgraded wood.

Attachments

• kibler.JPG
    kibler.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 123
I haven't built a kitted gun in several years but when I did, they usually came from either TOTW or Pecatonica. Always had good luck with both of them. I've got two builds in progress right now (a .32 Appalachian rifle and a Fusil de Chasse) and when those are finished I'm going to order a Kibler kit for myself. Either a .36 cal SMR or one of his large bore Colonials. Not sure which, but I've heard only good things about his work and I'd like to try one for myself.

Looks great! So what was your gun building experience before that SMR? I’m just a bit nervous to spend that much on my first kit build.
I have built a lot of single shot 1885 winchester and Martini Cadets. Graduated Colorado School of Trades back in 70,s and have been to several NRA summer classes.
The inletting on the Kibler was very close. A little chisel work in corners and scraping on edge and it went right together.

I have built a lot of single shot 1885 winchester and Martini Cadets. Graduated Colorado School of Trades back in 70,s and have been to several NRA summer classes.
The inletting on the Kibler was very close. A little chisel work in corners and scraping on edge and it went right together.
Okay! I think I’m sold

I'm sorry, but for a first builder, there is no better kit.
Personally, I build from a plank. But, on a whim I've built 2 Kibler kits, just to see.
First one, completely assembled in the white in 6 hours, second, 8 hours, (screwed up a buttplate hole)
Three or four days to finish, and produced an authentic, very accurate, serviceable rifle.
Never do that with a Chambers, Dunlap, TOW, or any other generic "kit" on the market.
Very few tools needed......like putting together Lego's.

I'm sorry, but for a first builder, there is no better kit.
Personally, I build from a plank. But, on a whim I've built 2 Kibler kits, just to see.
First one, completely assembled in the white in 6 hours, second, 8 hours, (screwed up a buttplate hole)
Three or four days to finish, and produced an authentic, very accurate, serviceable rifle.
Never do that with a Chambers, Dunlap, TOW, or any other generic "kit" on the market.
Very few tools needed......like putting together Lego's.
Thanks for the input. I appreciate your advice and think I found my winter project

Even though assembling a Kibler rifle is pretty straightforward, there's a lot to be learned by building one.
It's a good place to start - and worth the $$ for the education and finished product.

My intentions are to buy a SMR flint lock kit by the end of 2021. I am looking at kibler and pecatonica. Are there any others I should be comparing? Comments and suggestions are appreciaten
My intentions are to buy a SMR flint lock kit by the end of 2021. I am looking at kibler and pecatonica. Are there any others I should be comparing? Comments and suggestions are appreciated.
No need to look any further.
You can't do any better than a Kibler in my humble opinion.

My intentions are to buy a SMR flint lock kit by the end of 2021. I am looking at kibler and pecatonica. Are there any others I should be comparing? Comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Heres my Kibler.
First one I've ever built.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-09-19-10-28-53.png
    Screenshot_2021-09-19-10-28-53.png
    919.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_2021-09-19-10-28-33.png
    Screenshot_2021-09-19-10-28-33.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_2021-09-19-10-30-20.png
    Screenshot_2021-09-19-10-30-20.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
Looks great! So what was your gun building experience before that SMR? I’m just a bit nervous to spend that much on my first kit build.

So was I, knowing there were some kits lesser in price, but NONE will have the quality and leave you so happy as pulling the trigger on a Kibler.

Trust me, I'm a lawyer. 😄

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Get the Kibler. I got the Southern Mountain (look for my thread in flintlocks - Southern Mountain Start to Finish). The reason I got the SMR was that I had a Pedersoli Jaeger and the Kibler Colonial looked too much like it. Besides, I liked the looks of the mountain rifles. Experience. Two little pistol kits. Dixie Overcoat (from a long time ago) and one of those Jukar Philadelphia Derringers. Also a Pecatonica Harrington & Richardson underhammer.

So, for experience, practically none. Jim includes some instructions, but if you go to his YouTube channel, that is where you can get the knowledge imparted so you can do this all by yourself. You will never regret it.

How many times can I say "Trust me, I'm a lawyer" before it ceases being funny??? :dunno:😊

The Doc is out again now. :cool:

Last edited:
Back