• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SMR build pics for advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have posted these pictures on another forum. Many of you may also be members here. I am not posting to seek competition between forums. Members on this forum have known about my build for a while. I appreciate the experience of others and welcome all comments and suggestions. These are pictures of my first flintlock project and my first period-correct project (in progress). Please keep that in mind; I am a beginning student of the study of the American long rifle.

Attachments

• SMR image1.jpg
    SMR image1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 59
  • SMR image2.jpg
    SMR image2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 56
  • SMR image3.jpg
    SMR image3.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 63
  • SMR image4.jpg
    SMR image4.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 61
  • SMR image5.jpg
    SMR image5.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 60
  • SMR image6.jpg
    SMR image6.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 58
  • SMR image7.jpg
    SMR image7.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 49
I filed the wood a little at a time until I was almost there, then I filed some off the metal itself for that last little bit.

That butt plate needs to move towards the muzzle slightly. Installing those top screws isn't a good idea until after that fit up is made. You'll probably have to plug those holes and re-drill for those screws after it's fit properly.

During inlet you're better off gently clamping with a C clamp to transfer the black than having those two screws in place.

I assume you're using inlet black and know the process?

When metal fits wood it looks like it grew that way.......
Screenshot_20220422-135714_Gallery.jpg

That butt plate needs to move towards the muzzle slightly. Installing those top screws isn't a good idea until after that fit up is made. You'll probably have to plug those holes and re-drill for those screws after it's fit properly.

During inlet you're better off gently clamping with a C clamp to transfer the black than having those two screws in place.

I assume you're using inlet black and know the process?

When metal fits wood it looks like it grew that way.......View attachment 135696
Thank you, I am using inlet black. I have learned that I will have to drill and plug the screw holes. Your fit is beautiful.

Back