• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothy fun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Stress led me back to my coal burner smooth bore 20. Figured maple, half octagon half round barrel of 36 inch, converted flintlock to cap ignition ... this gun has bled my stress level off more then a few times. Sometimes I just set and hold it to get that feeling again ... then back to the grind.

Took her out today for a 4 or 5 hour vacation and like a charm ... she always delivers.

Messin about with 1Fg GOEX ... I experienced a thing for the first time ... she was getting fouled and I figured on this one last shot then a good swabbing ... when using the slightly smaller tip on the range rod ... I poked the ball through the patch and seated just the ball on the powder. Upon pulling the rod out I discovered the patch ring and grinning ... I balled up a couple patch's and seated them on the ball. Yarding the trigger I sent patching, ball and the 80 grain 1Fg powder down range ... going out and putting out the burning patching wad I continued the grin and even muttered a laugh out loud at the whole fiasco!

Digging deep into a corner of my shooting bag , I discovered a baggie with .595 balls, .015 patch's and a note from my last outing with this ol sweety. Read like this;

.595 home cast ball wrapped in a .015 inch patch lubed with bee wax/Vasoline mix and loaded over 60 grains of OE 2Fg powder sparked with a CCI mag cap.

Loading this load in a clean barrel, I fired it 2.5 inch high at 35 yards. 2nd round ball loaded smoothly and shot into the same hole [ this off the bench ]. Third shot went half a ball low. 4rth shot I forgot the cap ... so ... snap/nothing ... capping it I yanked it 2 inch right. 5th and 6th shots enlargened the first 3 into a gaping hole ... again this all off the bench taking my time.

Now I know this proves only that the smoothie can shoot ... but MAN DOES SHE SHOOT!!!

Anyhew ... got my stress relief and a affirmation that this ol smoothie can and does shoot. Got to develope a small game shot load for her and then I will be set.

Just a fun report on a very mini 5 hour vacation that never letz me down.

Gonna leave that baggie in the bag so next time I get round to my sweetie, the load will be rite under my nose.

Such a shame to realize my dream of a stable full of weapons large enough that it takes notes to remember what shoots and with what load. Be so far better off if there were only the one weapon hanging over the door and knowing what it likes every time we go out together. May need a sale ... MAYBE!!!

Back