• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothing A Rough Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
I bought a smoothbore Zouave a few month ago and I've noticed that fouling seems to accumulate about mid way down the bore. I'm assuming there's some pitting there. Is there any way to smooth it out? Thanks

Good Point. I should have mentioned that. :doh: Maroon. I have no idea what the grit is considered though. I must admit that I discovered this out of frustration with a lyman I had. I tried it and it worked and didn't tear anything up so I have used it on other bores since.

RM

Sunnen hone.
Mike Orlean.jpg

I was just getting ready to ask about this. My ol' SxS 12ga has had rough bores for years. Years ago when I was getting ready to be stationed overseas, I was going to leave my guns with my brother. He had them for two years and used them and wasn't much on cleaning them afterwards. I've had troubles with the bores on the SxS ever since. Enough so that if I try to run a patch down it on a jag, the jag seizes up on the roughness and won't come out.

If Scotch Bright doesn't do the trick go on to the "nuclear" option. That option is use of 0000 steel wool which is fine enough to smooth metal but not coarse enough to scratch it.

I'd add, lube up that 0000 steel wool. I've used a bit of it on a jag, sprayed down with ballistol, and gently run the jag back and forth. After a few passes in each direction, I run a clean patch to remove grime, then back to the 0000 steel wool and ballistol. Repeat until the "rough spot" is gone.

I bought a smoothbore Zouave a few month ago and I've noticed that fouling seems to accumulate about mid way down the bore. I'm assuming there's some pitting there. Is there any way to smooth it out? Thanks
I used brake grinding paste on a patch to smooth out a rough bore. Seems there's various techniques out there; the several answers should give a good choice!

some guys are making out like they are working on an artery. the barrel is steel and smoothbore. wrap steel wool around a brush chuck the rod in a drill and on medium speed clean it up

Latest posts

Back